PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

[email protected] :

Thank you everyone for the welcome. I guess I still have some homework to do and some books to buy for research.

Back to the yogurt, can I make it with the milk we buy from the store? I buy Whole milk, Grade A Pastureized an Homoginized. Will that work for the yogurt or do I need fresh milk? Also I was planning to puree strawberries and banana's to mix into it for the kids. That would be ok right?

Andrea - Thanks for the manure ideas to mix with the red clay. We have a friend that has horses and another guy that has beef cows. We can get manure from either one of them. My husband said we could do that in the next couple of weeks.
big_smile.png
I love to garden and grow fresh food. I'm dying to get a spice garden going this summer.

Yes, you can use any of the kinds of "whole milk, Grade A Pastureized an Homogenized" milk that you see in the grocery from skim through four percent; however, there is one kind, "ultra-pasteurized", that I have never seen being sold, known as "dead milk" that should not be used.

Once the "plain" yogurt is made, not before, then you can add whatever you want to it.​

Quote:
Great idea with the crock pot!

Update: I got my kefir grains yesterday and they are currently doing their business in some milk in my kitchen cabinet! Yay!

Question: do any of you ever mix a bit of heavy cream in with your plain milk to turn into kefir? Would this result in a thicker product? Thanks!

Andrea

Quote:
Great idea with the crock pot!

Update: I got my kefir grains yesterday and they are currently doing their business in some milk in my kitchen cabinet! Yay!

Question: do any of you ever mix a bit of heavy cream in with your plain milk to turn into kefir? Would this result in a thicker product? Thanks!

Andrea

Andrea,
YAY! you got your grain!! no need (not to be confused w/the bread:)) Just wait a little longer, it will thicken itself, or you could stain it. Line a colander w/cheesecloth and pour your mixture in it and take it out when it is the thickness you like. I don't bother. I just let it culture longer.
ginny

Last edited:
Quote:
"a sticky"?

The permanent threads that are linked at the top of a given forum list
smile.png

Thanks for the tip! I will probably let it culture longer to thicken.

thanks for the sticky answer!

Quote:
The permanent threads that are linked at the top of a given forum list
smile.png

Thanks for the tip! I will probably let it culture longer to thicken.

thanks for the sticky answer!

So since now I know what a sticky is (Learn something new everyday) HOW do they become stickys??? Inquiring Minds want to know!!!

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom