PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Quote:
Well, that is good news indeed!! I have put my Kefir into storage for a few days because I have more than I can drink by my self. I have really enjoyed the peach smoothies, Yummy!! My kids are still leary of it, but they are trying a sip when I make it.

I will pull the grains back out and start making kefir again on Saturday. With a house full, milk goes pretty fast around here and I don't always have enough to make the kefir daily. But it will be okay to put it into storage a couple days a week, right? I hope so. I put the grains in a small glass jar and cover it with milk and put a cloth lid on it to store it.
smile.png
In the fridge of course.

Last edited:
Ok, so I started out with about a tablespoon of grains. As per the instructions I was given, I added those grains to 1 cup of milk, and let that mixture set for 2 days, stirring frequently. When I strained off that batch, it wasn't thick, but my grains had about doubled in size. Then, per instructions, I added those grains to 1 cup of milk again, let set for 2 days, stirring frequently. This time when I strained off the batch, it was rather thick on top before I stirred it. I again added those grains to 1 cup of milk, stirring frequently. After 24 hours, it was rather thick on top, and had whey seperated. I stirred it, strained it, placed that batch in the fridge to mellow. Now I have about 1/4 C of grains to 2 cups of milk started. Does this sound about right for just starting with a few grains? I actually think I may make a smoothie tomorrow with the one cup I have in the fridge.........

Ok I tried the way the website said to make kefir the way it said was by adding a little kefir back into the batch! Kinda made sense to use a starter like you do in Kombucha tea!! So we will give it a try andI will let everyone know the results after I strain it! Had some time on my hands since we had the wonderful pretty white stuff all over the ground 8 Inches of pretty New fallen snow on the ground (Yuck/ Ick I do not like Snow) LOL

Ernie

Today is my 3rd day with the Kefir grains. For the second time I added 1/2 c. raw unpasturized milk to the grains and poured back about 1/4 of the liquid/curd that I drained off.

It is thick! And I took just a small taste of the Kefir that dribbled and it was good. It tastes like liquid plain yogurt to me but better. Tomorrow I will add 2 cups of milk to it after I drain it off and add a little back of the original starter/whey.

Can anyone tell me how much we are supposed to drink each day for the benefits to show? 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup? 1 cup? Is there a minimum?

Thanks! And Joe, thanks for starting this wonderful thread

I'm noticing the cultured milk being strained off my starter has a 'grainy' texture like little bits of cottage cheese mixed in. It looks like bits of cottage cheese on the curds when I drain it. They go back into the jar with the grains because they're stuck to them. How do I get it to be smooth and creamy? I don't like the 'gritty' mouth feel, I don't think it's right. What to do?

Should I rinse the starter grains to get rid of the white bits?

I made a wonderful recipe with my kefir milk:

KEFIR CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 C. Kefir Milk
1 C. cooking oil
2 C. sugar
2-1/2 C. flour
2 eggs
1/2 C. Cocoa powder
1 C. boiling water with 1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt (preferably Kosher)
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix milk, oil, sugar, flour, eggs, and cocoa together. Beat well, then add soda water, salt and vanilla and beat again. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan sprayed with Pam or lightly grease and flour. Bake at 350-375 degrees for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

I topped mine with sifted powdered sugar. Can be served with canned cherry pie filling over individual pieces and topped with whipped cream. Can also be served with drizzled chocolate, caramel or strawberry ice cream topping and a scoop of ice cream.

Very moist and soft textured with a rich chocolate taste.

Serves: 1 (ok, maybe two if they're really, really good friends)

Back
Top Bottom