PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

yuckyuck.gif
wink.png

Quote:
Hi Sandi
I like the receipe and will have to try that one! Looks really good!

ON the kefir you really never should have to rinse the grains! The kefir will have small little bits of curd mixed in with it after straining (You might try to use a strainer with smaller holes in it if it is too gritty feeling! I am not totally sure about the gritty feel! You might try to seperate the grains in half and try that to see if it has a better palate feel to it! Or put it in a blender and puree for a few sec's! You might be getting new grains forming and they are just going thru the strainer you have too!!

These are just some thoughts and things you might try to see how they work

Swirl it in a glass and normal keifer will show some grains to it hanging on the side of the glass although I never have noticed it being grainy! Although I did read somewhere that if you wanted it creamier you could add some milk to the kefir to thin it some and take away the sour taste!!

Ernie

What no 1/2 piece of cake in the mail I'm Crushed
hu.gif
LOL

Quote:
th.gif
wow, I have to do this recipe !!
BTW: Where is this magical place that you all are purchasing these Kefir "grains " ?
And question #2::: What is the difference between Kefir "grains" ? and live cultures in yogurt ?

Thanks Ernie. I'll try a smaller strainer. When I make smoothies they get blended nicely, but I don't blend it every time. I may have to divide the grains so they don't use up the lactose so fast which may lead to the the little 'cheese' lumps. by the way, how do you make yogurt or cheese from this culture?

About the cake. Go stand by your mailbox and wait.

Better pack a lunch.

HA!!!!!!!

Quote:
Chickielady.... I got my Kefir Grains from the KefirLady. I think Ernie also has some Kefir Grains.
For question #2, I think yogurt only has 2 live cultures, and no grains. While Kefir grains produces the drinkable Kefir (over & over again) that has 32 or more live cultures that are good for you. But, I think Ernie will be better able to answer this.
smile.png

Ernie.... While drinking my peach & cinnamon kefir smoothies tonight with my daughter, she asked if could use Kefir to make Ice Cream?? I have an Ice Cream maker. Do you think this would be do-able?? If so, I'm going to get started on that!! Peach Kefir Ice Cream sound wonderful.
droolin.gif

Ok guys, I stopped getting probiotics posts after my jellyfish comment.....did you guys unsubscibe me? ( Actually I think I unsubscribed myself!). I kept checking my emails and no posts!! I couldn't figure out what happened........

Stopped by the store and got carrots and ginger for fermented veggies...also making a big batch of kefir to strain the whey for the veggies!

Quote:
Chickielady.... I got my Kefir Grains from the KefirLady. I think Ernie also has some Kefir Grains.
For question #2, I think yogurt only has 2 live cultures, and no grains. While Kefir grains produces the drinkable Kefir (over & over again) that has 32 or more live cultures that are good for you. But, I think Ernie will be better able to answer this.
smile.png

Ernie.... While drinking my peach & cinnamon kefir smoothies tonight with my daughter, she asked if could use Kefir to make Ice Cream?? I have an Ice Cream maker. Do you think this would be do-able?? If so, I'm going to get started on that!! Peach Kefir Ice Cream sound wonderful.
droolin.gif

So Kefir is or is not, just a wonderful drinkable yogurt smoothy ?
Does it actually have more cultures ?
We have used live cultured yogurt to start new cultures, and if a bit runny, or thick add milk until it is smoothy consistency, just asking.
And, still bothers me to call them "grains"...I am so allergic, worse than an allergy, to most grains.

Quote:
smile.png

droolin.gif

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH I see another receipe coming Peach Kefir Ice cream!!! Mmmmmm That would go good with the Choclate cake that Sandi made! I am Sooooo Getting Hungry!!!!! Keep us informed on the outcome I would throw caution to the wind and go ahead and try a small batch!!!!

Ernie

What I usually do and by the way I am the adventurous one of the bunch! I would try a small batch and go for it! I think it would work fine and be great! Anyone else got any ideas on this one

Quote:
Chickielady, I got my grains from E.Marble (Ernie) on this thread. Mine are over achievers, strong and healthy!

I think we should call them kefir bodies or kefir colonies...they really aren't grains.

That's just the scientist in me talking. Sorry.

Just another Kefir Krazy, Sandi

Back
Top Bottom