PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Quote:
Thanks Sandi
So from now on I dub Yeee Kefir Colonies instead of Grains! Makes more sense to me anyway as I never thought they looked like grains anyway!! So as I stand here next to my mailbox waiting for my Choclate cake to come from Sandi??? Its getting really cold out here toooo!~ Ohhh and its starting to snow again!! HOPE MY CAKE COMES Soon
he.gif
droolin.gif
so I can go back inside the house where its warm!!
lau.gif

Ernie

bow.gif
OH Thank you !!! Or how about Marbles ??
idunno.gif

Yea that does have kind of a Sweet ring to it
lau.gif
Hmmmmm Kefir Marbles
clap.gif
I wonder how the Caucasian Mountain Tribes would deal with that!!! Changing it to an Irish name! That would make them of Russian/Irish decent! Hmmmmm Kefir Whiskey for my friends on St Paddys day!!! LOL The New Probiotic Scotch

Ernie

this looks interesting http://blog.culturedfoodlife.com/2010/08/03/kefir-cantaloupe.aspx It reminded me that I used to make a copy of yoplait whips with yogurt. I am going to have to try making them with kefir. For a whip I use one small package of jello (3oz I think) I dissolve it in 1 cup of boiling water. I then let it cool till it just starts to thicken. I then blend in 1 to 1 1/2 cup yogurt or in this case kefir (I haven't tried it yet) Finally refrigerate it till it is firm.

Quote:
bow.gif
OH Thank you !!! Or how about Marbles ??
idunno.gif

Yea that does have kind of a Sweet ring to it
lau.gif
Hmmmmm Kefir Marbles
clap.gif
I wonder how the Caucasian Mountain Tribes would deal with that!!! Changing it to an Irish name! That would make them of Russian/Irish decent! Hmmmmm Kefir Whiskey for my friends on St Paddys day!!! LOL The New Probiotic Scotch

Ernie

Eww not Scotch...But seems we are the Caucasian Mountain tribes
lol.png

Can get no more Caucasian than this, nor more Scotch !!
I just made a deliscious GF pizza crust from a scratch recipe, IT WAS PERFECT!!!
Except DH says it needs the sour dough flavor...it has a great whole wheat flavor from Buck wheat but he wants the sour dough flavor...seems the kefir will be perfect ?? I am EGG cited now !!
Good night all~~

Quote:
Whey is used to produce ricotta, brown cheeses, Messmör/Prim and many other products for human consumption. It is also an additive in many processed foods, including breads, crackers and commercial pastry, and in animal feed. Whey proteins primarily consist of α-lactalbumin and β-lactoglobulin. Depending on the method of manufacture, whey may also contain glycomacropeptides (GMP).

Whey protein (derived from whey) is often sold as a nutritional supplement. Such supplements are especially popular in the sport of bodybuilding. In Switzerland, where cheese production is an important industry, whey is used as the basis for a carbonated soft drink called Rivella.

And you all thought I was just another Pretty face around here didn't you!!!????

Ernie

Ever seen a skinny hog (Thats why they got all the whey)

yuckyuck.gif

I also do not want to look like the hog, none the less, PM your paypal !!

Ok, I just couldn't wait to make the ice cream. I pulled out the ol' ice cream maker, and got down to business. I used a "Quick and Easy, creamy vanilla", ice cream mix (in a pouch from Walmart) that I had on hand. This pouch said to just add 4 cups of whole milk. So I used 2 cups of Kefir (all I had left) and 2 cups of milk. I also added the peaches, and it turned out just delicious!!! It has a smooth yogurt/Kefir taste to it. YUMMY!!!
droolin.gif

PEACH VANILLA KEFIR ICE CREAM
1 8oz pkg Quick & Easy Vanilla Ice Cream Mix
2 Cups Kefir
2 Cups Whole Milk
2 Cups pureed Peaches
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Lemon Juice

For The Ice Cream Maker:
10-14 Cups of crushed ice
Rock Salt for homemade Ice Cream

In a large plastic bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the ice cream together. Set aside.
Prepair the ice cream maker. Place the freezer canister in the center of your ice cream maker. Pour the ice cream mixture into the freezer canister and add the mixing paddle & canister lid to cover the ice cream. Put a 3 inch layer of ice around the canister. Sprinkle a 1/2 inch layer of the rock salt on top of the ice. Repeat the until the area around the freezer canister is well packed. Place the top/motor of the ice cream maker on top and fasten into place. Plug in your ice cream maker to start the process, checking about every 15 minutes to add more ice as needed. After about an hour, my ice cream was finished. I removed it from the freezer canister, and put it into a plastic tub with a lid, and placed it into the freezer to harden.

It is absolutely delicious!!! We loved it. If I would of had more Kefir on hand, I would have used 4 cups of Kefir and omited the whole milk. But alas, I made smoothies earlier today and only had 2 cups of Kefir left. But on the up side, I can see us making Kefir ice cream all summer long!!
love.gif

I hope you enjoy as much as we did.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
OOhh...her website is really cool! That recipe looks great. I wish it was summer and I had fresh melons in my garden.

I don't know how I missed the water kefir grain section on Dom's website- that place is like a maze of kefir information. So the idea with the sugar water kefir is that the bacteria consume all the sugar like they do in Kumbacha, so we aren't actually drinking a bunch of sugar, right? I might have to get some of those grains from you when i get some more space for all my cultures....my fridge and counter are kinda full right now!
roll.png

I really REALLY want to try the Kumbacha next. I've been buying it at the store and it is so good....I know I will love it when I make it myself.

Has anyone here figured out how to ship SCOBY'S yet??

Andrea

Quote:
OOhh...her website is really cool! That recipe looks great. I wish it was summer and I had fresh melons in my garden.

I don't know how I missed the water kefir grain section on Dom's website- that place is like a maze of kefir information. So the idea with the sugar water kefir is that the bacteria consume all the sugar like they do in Kumbacha, so we aren't actually drinking a bunch of sugar, right? I might have to get some of those grains from you when i get some more space for all my cultures....my fridge and counter are kinda full right now!
roll.png

I really REALLY want to try the Kumbacha next. I've been buying it at the store and it is so good....I know I will love it when I make it myself.

Andrea

Havent figured out yet andrea but as with everything I am doing some research at growing a small mushroom in a pint jar and then trying to ship that! You may be the lucky participant for shipping if I get it figured ou as I have got to send it to someone!!

Ernie

Quote:

roll.png

Andrea

Havent figured out yet andrea but as with everything I am doing some research at growing a small mushroom in a pint jar and then trying to ship that! You may be the lucky participant for shipping if I get it figured ou as I have got to send it to someone!!

Ernie

Andrea,
You can grow your own by purchasing a PLAIN active kombucha (like GT's), putting it in a very clean wide mouth jar with paper towel or cloth covering and let it sit. It can take up to a month to grow, but it really should grow a mother. You can add a little sugar for the culture. Also, when you go to make your first kombucha with it, put the entire bottle of kombucha with it as an inoculate. The next thing you know, you'll be giving scobys away!
Ginny

Quote:

Ernie

Andrea,
You can grow your own by purchasing a PLAIN active kombucha (like GT's), putting it in a very clean wide mouth jar with paper towel or cloth covering and let it sit. It can take up to a month to grow, but it really should grow a mother. You can add a little sugar for the culture. Also, when you go to make your first kombucha with it, put the entire bottle of kombucha with it as an inoculate. The next thing you know, you'll be giving scobys away!
Ginny

I'm on it! Just bought a bottle!

Sorry Ernie, I'm impatient!!

Back
Top Bottom