PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Welcome Jersey Girl
frow.gif
Glad your enjoying Kefir.

Ernie... I'm watching the Pittsburgh Steelers kicking butt.... headed to the Super Bowl!!!
ya.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif

I'll be back on here tomorrow.
woot.gif

P.S. Sorry about the peach ice cream..... it melted before the mail man came!!
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You certainly must live somewhere alot warmer than me.........haven't seen above freezing since I don't know when!!!

Yeah, Alabama is only cold at night time. Got up to 50 today, but it was only 25 last night. Been colder here this winter than it usually is.

Quote:
You certainly must live somewhere alot warmer than me.........haven't seen above freezing since I don't know when!!!

Yeah, Alabama is only cold at night time. Got up to 50 today, but it was only 25 last night. Been colder here this winter than it usually is.

Yea if it had made it to missouri it would never have melted LOL! We have 8 inches of snow on the ground and I don't think its been above 25 for 2 0r 3 weeks now! Needless to say my lovely little egg laying ladies are MAD cause they hate the snow! I heard something about packing their little feather Boas and heading to Sandi house for the rest of the winter LOL!! Don't get me wrong I don't hate snow and I don't hate cold (I just hate living where it is cold and snowy) OK so I hate the cold and I hate the snow!
lau.gif
he.gif
rant.gif

Ernie

Quote:
This is what I do. Spouting them make more b vits gets rid of the calcium blocker and makes the flour a bit sweeter. It is a lot of work, but I find it is worth it. I do not use it for my starter. I find white flour works best and I think of it like using white sugar to feed so many of our probiotics. If the rest of the flour is whole wheat I think it is fine. I recently came across a milk sour dough starter and am planing to try it with kefir. I will let you know how that turns out.

Great! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear how the milk starter turns out!

What kind of grinder do you use?

Quote:
This is what I do. Spouting them make more b vits gets rid of the calcium blocker and makes the flour a bit sweeter. It is a lot of work, but I find it is worth it. I do not use it for my starter. I find white flour works best and I think of it like using white sugar to feed so many of our probiotics. If the rest of the flour is whole wheat I think it is fine. I recently came across a milk sour dough starter and am planing to try it with kefir. I will let you know how that turns out.

Great! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear how the milk starter turns out!

What kind of grinder do you use?

I use the kitchenAid grinder that hooks onto my mixer.
I found this site that has a lot of great recipes http://blog.culturedfoodlife.com/20...d-the-answer-to-so-many-problems.aspx?ref=rss There is even a kombuchu kefir float.

Quote:
So THAT'S what I heard tapping at my door last night!!!!!

Well, we've had a record cold winter here...lots of nights in the low 20's which is unusual for us, but the days in the 50-60's are not bad. My coops have heaters for night time so they won't need those boas!

I hate cold and snow and brown grass and bare trees! I have "Spring Fever" year round and stay depressed until I can plant flowers and smell blooms! I could never endure weeks of cold like you, Ernie. It's just incompatible with my gardener's heart. I am truly longing for the first warm days and green growing things!!!!

Quote:

Yea if it had made it to missouri it would never have melted LOL! We have 8 inches of snow on the ground and I don't think its been above 25 for 2 0r 3 weeks now! Needless to say my lovely little egg laying ladies are MAD cause they hate the snow! I heard something about packing their little feather Boas and heading to Sandi house for the rest of the winter LOL!! Don't get me wrong I don't hate snow and I don't hate cold (I just hate living where it is cold and snowy) OK so I hate the cold and I hate the snow!
lau.gif
he.gif
rant.gif

Ernie

-22* here. Very cold. horses have frost on their faces and necks. Chooks got their squash, hot cereal, sprouts,and kefir inside. We have almost 2feet of snow. Paths are shoveled for chooks. They normally high-tail it to the underneath of the porh when I fed them, but think I will wait till the sun crests the mountain peaks to let them out. (or just before I leave for work) I got the big stink eye for not leaving their door open. But, baby it's cold outside!!

Back
Top Bottom