PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Quote:
I'm really lucky that Elijah is very open minded about traditional foods. He'll drink the kefir straight, although He does call it my "stinky milk" as in, "So, you gotta feed your stinky milk globs now?"
lol.png

Quote:
I'm really lucky that Elijah is very open minded about traditional foods. He'll drink the kefir straight, although He does call it my "stinky milk" as in, "So, you gotta feed your stinky milk globs now?"
lol.png

I have equal issues in My Household and My wife will not consider drinking Kefir although she did like the Dutch baby pancakes that I made and the regular pancakes also! If I fix something with it she is ok with that but will not drink it straight or even in smoothies! But Oh Well to each their own! I am so glad that I managed to figure out how to ship the marbles and send them to you all! I also can't wait till summer and I have Vegatables and can start to ferment!

BTW Does anyone have a good Cabbage soup reciepe that they can post as I am looking for one! I am getting ready to make a good cleansing soup so that I can do a cleanse also!!

Ernie

I was reading about how normal yogurt starts losing its probiotics after 24 hours from when it is made. Has anyone seen if that is true with Kefir as well? I don't think so since with whey from kefir I start to notice new kefir grains after about a week. That makes me think it is still churning away.

On a different thread, I love making water kefir best with cranberry juice. I was thinking about making up some cranberry jelly (my husband uses it like normal jelly) and throwing all the solid stuff that doesn't go thru the strainer into my kefir water. I wonder if the added pectin from the freash (frozen actually) berries will affect it.

Quote:
Actually Kefir gets better the longer it is aged! I don't know if there is a point at somewhere down the road that it starts losing it powers but I know it is still good several weeks and the aging actually increases the potency and process! That is why they recommend aging at least 2 to 4 days for maxium benifit

I would think the cranberry leftovers are OK but I don't know much about wateer kefir I am just getting started on that adventure!!LOL

Ernie

My you get up awful early Ernie, I forgot to say how great your packaging is, none drained out everything was intact.. yeah straight kefir is not for the faint of heart.. so far besides me my dogs have enjoyed the extra marbles[thick stuff] yesterday I made a smoothie just out of all the stuff that stayed in the colander. And shared them with my dogs and put some on the chickens salmon that they got..

I am having some confusion over my Kefir. When I strain it (I help it along the strainer a little) there is really thick white "stuff" left. It isn't the grains.

I know the grains need to begin growing somewhere so in this glop of thick white stuff that I think is curds... are there newbie grains?

I have been adding it back to the original grains with additional milk but it is starting to look a little too thick. Any help?

Quote:
I think its just kurds. Try stiring really good with a wood or plastic spoon before straining it. If you still have some after you strain it, place the strainer back into the bowl of Kefir and gently swish it around a little bit to wash the kurds away. You could pick out and discard any that are to large to go thru the strainer.

I think Kefir babies come from the Kefir grains themselves. I think small pieces break off the grains and start to grow on their own and thrus multiply. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
I think its just kurds. Try stiring really good with a wood or plastic spoon before straining it. If you still have some after you strain it, place the strainer back into the bowl of Kefir and gently swish it around a little bit to wash the kurds away. You could pick out and discard any that are to large to go thru the strainer.

I think Kefir babies come from the Kefir grains themselves. I think small pieces break off the grains and start to grow on their own and thrus multiply. But that's just my opinion.

Oh! Well that makes sense! And also a very good idea. The two quarts of Kefir I strained off this morning have now seperated and the whey is over half the jar. Doesn't look right to me. Thank you!

Quote:
Yeah, when mine does that I strain the grains out of it and discard it or feed it to my animals. It usually happens to mine when the grains have multiplied so much that the Kefir is maturing much, much faster. Either separate some grains out or use more milk when making it.

I separated some of the grains and sent them to my sister so she could start making Kefir.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom