PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Quote:
Yes, we DEFINITELY need a cookbook for Kefir usage. I'm trying new recipes that I can substitute it for milk or buttermilk and will post them as I get good ones....like the bran muffins. Those have been a 'hit' with everyone who has tried them.

Tell us more about the 'laban' and how to make cheese with Kefir please. I think mine makes cottage cheese already. It sure looks like it when I strain it and clumps of white 'curds' won't go through the colander.

I make cream cheese from mine often. I love cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. I just drain it it by using a white paper towel over a colander until enough whey is out that it is the consistency I like. What I am trying now is aging it for 2 or 3 months. However I just tightly packed it into a jar and now I am thinking I was supposed to wrap it in paraffin or drop it in oil.
I also usually drain it a bit before I give it to my husband since he likes normal yogurt consistency and kefir is too thin for him.

My marbles are so active they look like noodles now, and had so much whey I gave bowls to my flocks, and boy did they love it !
Excellent probiotics AND protein for the beginning of lay season !
Excellent !!
lol.png

Last edited:
Sorry I am a hit or miss here lately, but is anyone else having any stomache issues? Mine is cramping lately and it never cramps. I don't know if it is the Kefir alone or that I mix it with protein powder.

Anyone else? Thanks

Quote:
No - no cramps at all, and I started right out drinking a full glass. Maybe you have some kind of bug, and it just coincides with the kefir usage? Somewhere I read that you may need to start taking a small amount and build up to larger quantities. Hope you feel better soon!
hu.gif

I have ulcers and the kefir smoothies I've been having every afternoon for several weeks now has caused an improvement. Not as much pain, and less frequent episodes. I am hopeful that it will be a permanent solution to a chronic problem. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom