PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

I have a question.

Do you guys think I could mix baby parrot formula with kefir to try and syringe feed one of my girls?

She's my favorite. My sweet Bernice, and she's stopped eating. I can hardly get her to eat even a few bites of eggs. She's gotten super skinny & has very watery, urate white diarrhea. I'm suspecting worms or mites. I dusted all of them yesterday and treated the coop for mites but I am scared to worm her until I can get some nutrition into her. Poor baby. I'm terrified of loosing her
hit.gif

You think the kefir/parrot formula would be good? I've tried just about everything else.

Hey, I sure couldn't imagine how it could hurt.. I don't know as much as some on here about the kefir but I use it and think it's very healthful for our birds and us.. so I'd say go for it, you need to give her a few days before worming but I wouldn't wait too long or it might be too late... make sure to keep up the kefir afterwards also to build back up the good bacteria in her gut.

Thanks Miss Lydia,

I talked to Peter Brown from first state vet supply and he wants me to tube feed her. I'm scared to try it. I'm going to try to syringe it to her first. Why do these things always seem to happen during my three 12 hour day workweek?

Last edited:
hopefully you'll have help if you decide to do that. It probably wouldn't bee to bad if you know exactly which hole to go into. That would be the scariest part... sorry your having to go through this.. you can't get her to eat at all?

Quote:
Did you make it the old fashion way using beets or the red dye way? I found an old recipe in my grandmothers stuff that used beets, but it cooked up a bit more dense than I liked,

ukyou,
I didn't know I could use red beets!! How would I do that? I'd like to try...any suggestions? If you couldn't tell I used the dye...can't be good for me though, especially after I add the frosting and eat too much!!
ginny

I didn't know that either. We'll have to try that! I usually steer clear of Red Velvet because of the massive amounts of red dye needed.

Quote:
I would give it a try if it was me! Kefir should be good for her just make sure that you keep the Whey (Clear Liquid that forms at the bottom) mixed in with it as this is where all the protein is and beneficial to her! And the baby parrot food couldnt hurt I'm sure! The Kefir would be good for her and the baby parrot food would have some nutrients that she would also need!!

Ernie

Quote:
ukyou,
I didn't know I could use red beets!! How would I do that? I'd like to try...any suggestions? If you couldn't tell I used the dye...can't be good for me though, especially after I add the frosting and eat too much!!
ginny

I didn't know that either. We'll have to try that! I usually steer clear of Red Velvet because of the massive amounts of red dye needed.

Okay, I was on line checking out beet made red velvet cake. In the comments, one person complained that their cake turned out heavy and dense. It was actually recommended that KEFIR be used!! chek it out! tp://blisstree.com/eat/red-for-valentines-day-red-velvet-cake/

The comments are in the comment section 5-7 down. I was surprised1
Ginny

I gave my chickens my home made kefir today for the first time, me and the dogs been being piggie about it, any way they just about jumped into the bowl for it and scarfed it up so fast. I think they like it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yesterday I got her to eat about 2 teaspoons of oatmeal and about 3 bites of scrambled egg....and one kefir grain. She's not filling her crop at all, and her poop is very evident of that. All white and watery. She's drinking a lot of water and I've been able to get some poly vi sol drops into her. She is SO skinny. It just happened so quickly...

This morning I made a mash with oatmeal, baby bird formula, honey and a hard boiled egg yolk. She took two bites and would have nothing more to do with it. I'm scared of putting her under way to much stress by tube feeding her, but if I can't get her to eat I might have to give it a try. I need to get some strength in her so I can start the wazine.

I was trying to wait to worm them for the first time until everyone was done moulting, since I read that you shouldn't put their systems under too much stress when they are in moult. I've had at least one bird moulting ever since November, and Bernie just started moulting a week ago. Peter Brown said that they shouldn't be moulting this time of year and that it was indicative of another problem.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. They eat the highest quality organic layer feed I can find, it is soy free and non GMO, they get OACV or nutri drench in their water, and the only treats I give them are plain yogurt, kefir, oatmeal, eggs, fresh veggies and the occasional handful of scratch. They get free choice oyster shell and granite grit.

Back
Top Bottom