PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

I have two coops for two different sets of Silkies. I make a bowl of treats for both coops each morning. The Silkies in one coop scarf down the Kefir and anything I mix it with. The other coop isn't interested in it. I cannot figure that one out. They will eat the others things I offer, but they don't like the Kefir apparently. Go figure.

I made a delicious corn casserole with the Kefir recently. Usually I go by recipes and get the proportions just right. This one I made up as I went. It turned out very well and I will definitely make it again.

SANDI'S CORN CASSEROLE

1 can whole kernel Corn
1 can creamed Corn
5 Bantam eggs (or 3 large eggs)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 to 1 Cup Kefir milk (as needed for pouring consistency)
Salt to taste
Dash of dried onion flakes
Dash of garlic powder
2 stacks of saltine crackers, crushed
Shredded cheese for topping

Mix all ingredients except cheese topping, put in 9x9 metal pan. Bake 30 minutes at 350 or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, sprinkle liberally with cheese. No need to return it to the oven, the cheese will melt quickly.

Quote:
Okay, so my plan is this....tomorrow morning I am going to try and give her some salmon/kefir mixed together. I will go ahead and put the wazine in their waterers (I already have everything I need for worming, just haven't used it yet). I will give her three more drops of poly-vi-sol, and see how she does.

I found a vet who will do a fecal test for me, which I can take in on Saturday morning. Hopefully that will give me an idea of any worms/cocci issues.

If, by tomorrow, she is not eating and her poop has not gotten any more solid, I will follow the instructions for tube feeding....

Pleas send good thoughts to my Bernie! Sorry, didn't mean to take over our kefir thread with chicken health issues...
hmm.png

It's 8:22 and sending good thoughts to Bernie...........

PS This is BYC,,,we are supposed to be supporting chicken raising......so no need to apologize......

Quote:
Okay, so my plan is this....tomorrow morning I am going to try and give her some salmon/kefir mixed together. I will go ahead and put the wazine in their waterers (I already have everything I need for worming, just haven't used it yet). I will give her three more drops of poly-vi-sol, and see how she does.

I found a vet who will do a fecal test for me, which I can take in on Saturday morning. Hopefully that will give me an idea of any worms/cocci issues.

If, by tomorrow, she is not eating and her poop has not gotten any more solid, I will follow the instructions for tube feeding....

Pleas send good thoughts to my Bernie! Sorry, didn't mean to take over our kefir thread with chicken health issues...
hmm.png

It's 8:22 and sending good thoughts to Bernie...........

PS This is BYC,,,we are supposed to be supporting chicken raising......so no need to apologize......

Sending Good thought to Bernie From here in Missouri! Keep fighting and hanging in there bernie

Ernie

Quote:
The poor chickens never got a crumb.....it was SOOOO good we ate it all!

By two stacks of saltines do you mean two of the individually wrapped packages?

Yes I used 2 individually wrapped stacks out of a 4 stack box of regular saltine crackers. You could use different kinds of crackers for a different taste. I considered some of the cheeze flavored mini-square shaped crackers (cheese-its ?) and you'll just have to guess on the amount. I did it until it looked right. Odd for me, I'm usually a "by the book' recipe cook. Guess I was feelin' creative that night. The mixture should be slightly soupy, since the crackers are going to soak up a lot of moisture as it bakes.

Good morning! Just wanted to give you guys an update on little Miss Bernie.

She seems to be doing better. I was able to get her to eat several times on Friday so I went ahead and gave them the wazine in their waterers. She has been having slightly more solid poop and has been interested in food. She still seems a little weak, but I'm hoping with all the extra nutrition and vitamins, she will be able to pull through just fine.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and well wishes!

Sandi, I am making that TONIGHT! Yum!

Andrea

AndreaS, so happy to here Miss Bernie is feeling better. Those worms can really bring them down fast... and with all the TLC hopefully she'll be feeling good as new very soon.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom