PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Quote:
Do you ferment them like the gingered carrots? Can chickens handle all that salt?

I put 1/4 cup of whey in the jar
Then any veggie parts I am not eating like carrot skins, ginger peel, out side of cauliflower, ribs of kale get cut up and lightly salted. With the whey, I need very little salt.
then I shove them in the jar.
Each day I shove more in till it is full and then I let it sit with the lid on for 3 more days.
then I start poring it into there treat dish.
My husbands cousin who accidentally tasted it
lau.gif
didn't find it salty at all

Sounds like a good idea

Quote:
I actually put the sugar and water together and then boil, stirring a couple of times to make sure that the sugar disolves all the way. Then I add the tea bags to the pot, and let them steep until the tea cools to room temperature. I then remove the tea bags, pour the tea into a gallon jar with some of the "starter tea" in it, and then float the scoby on top. I tried once to leave the scoby in the starter tea and then just add the fresh tea, but the scoby never floated in that batch. In fact, it stayed turned half on it's side. I don't know if that really makes a difference or not, but to me it just didn't seem right, so I started over.

I do have a question, though......do you all drink your tea plain, or do you mix it with juice? I have found that I like mine way better if I mix it with cranberry juice.

OK, started growing my own scooby with a kombucha drink from Whole Foods. It's been in the cabinet for 3 weeks. A scooby is growing but not sure if this is what it should like during the initial growing process.

What do y'all think?
Do I continue on or scrap this?
Smooth on top and bubbles you see are from the bottom.
46237_p1040502.jpg

46237_p1040499.jpg

Looks like mine.........anyone else?

I used green tea for my first couple of batches, and I really don't care for the taste-therefore I mix it with cranberry juice as I stated above. The batch I have brewing now, I used black tea. It has been sitting for 10 days, and I tasted it this morning. Yum! It already has some carbonation, and really has a good flavor. Has anyone else done some experimenting with different teas? What were your favorites? What were your worst? I do know to not use any tea with oils in it, like Earl Grey and some of the fruit flavored tea.

Quote:
I don't add anything to mine....i don't want the sdded sugar. I used to make green/black tea together, but I don't anymore....just black because I like it. Thought about using white tea, but it is too expensive.

What an AMAZING thread!
I'm hooked, of course I'm only on page 50, diligently taking notes on both kefir and komboucha...a little frightened about the fermented veggies. I think the posts of squishy veggies made me nervous, however, I'm sure the chickens would still gobble them up.

I've ordered my grains from the KefirLady (thanks for the contact info!....all the way back in the first 5 pages).

I read how the *ultra* pasturized milks are a no-no for kefir. My whole foods market carries quality milk from a local dairy, is it ok to use non-fat for the kefir, is it better to use the 2% or the whole milk? I've never been a fan of the whole milk. When I get my goats next year, this won't be an issue, but until then, I'm stuck with the store.

Quote:
Welcome to the thread, Redley. I use 2 or 1% for my kefir. Some use whole for a creamier texture. I am sure some one will speak up with their opinion on non-fat. As for the goat....You are very lucky!!!! I bet that, that will be the BEST!!
ginny

Thanks for the
thumbsup.gif
on my scooby!
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

I'm preparing some new tea right now and will need to catch up on how to do this kombucha thing.
caf.gif

Not sure I am ready to drink whats in there just yet. Is aged kombucha a good thing?

I am totally taken with our kefir and from a 1/2 teasp of adopted grains I now have close to a cup
ep.gif

I use whole, non homogenized, pasturized milk, add a dash of raw cane sugar and treat them to a swig of cream once a week.
They are as spoiled as my chickens
love.gif

I've already gotten one friend even more excited than I am on kefir. He left my home with grains, prepared kefir and a jar of VCO. His morning blood sugar dropped from 115 to a solid 93 this first week. He feels incredible and is thrilled.

All but one of my kids is on board and consuming kefir everyday.
We all noticed that when we leave the bathroom no one would ever know we were in there.
clap.gif
Amazing!

I'm having a kefir shake as I type. New recipe today and
droolin.gif

kefir crushed ice
some stevia
some raw coconut sap crystals
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

Quote:
Welcome to the thread, Redley. I use 2 or 1% for my kefir. Some use whole for a creamier texture. I am sure some one will speak up with their opinion on non-fat. As for the goat....You are very lucky!!!! I bet that, that will be the BEST!!
ginny

Ginny,
Yes indeed. Can't wait for the goats. We need to fix the 'out building' (lean-to) that will be their shed and put up a fence.
Thanks for the info on the milk.
My shipment went out today. I'm eagerly anticipating my postman.

Back
Top Bottom