PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Quote:
Kim,

How much yogurt/kefir do you use with about how much finished product? I tried to do the cheese with the kefir, but made the mistake of going out to feed the chickens after it started to drain. When I came back in, I found that the cats ate it all....haven't tried since....
hmm.png

Ginny

Last edited:
Quote:
I didn't see anyone respond to your question about cooking with Kefir- the little buggies all die in thermo set yogurt at any temp over 120, and since Kefir is done at room temp I would assume it might die at an even lower temp. BUT there are still benefits to cooking with it. It's acidic like buttermilk, so it will make baked goods fluffier. And, if you let your batter/dough soak overnight (or up to 24 hours) at room temp it makes whole grain flours more digestible, the nutrients more easily absorbed by our bodies AND makes an even softer, fluffier product. While I usually use buttermilk for this (any acidic dairy works) since kefir is the most beneficial thing to drink, kefir works well too.

I didn't see anyone respond to your question about cooking with Kefir- the little buggies all die in thermo set yogurt at any temp over 120, and since Kefir is done at room temp I would assume it might die at an even lower temp. BUT there are still benefits to cooking with it. It's acidic like buttermilk, so it will make baked goods fluffier.

And, if you let your batter/dough soak overnight (or up to 24 hours) at room temp it makes whole grain flours more digestible, the nutrients more easily absorbed by our bodies AND makes an even softer, fluffier product. While I usually use buttermilk for this (any acidic dairy works) since kefir is the most beneficial thing to drink, kefir works well too.

Hi - I bake with fresh ground whole flour (I'm new at this) and I have recently been using naturally soured whole milk or kefir in my bread recipes. Can you please explain how to let your batter/dough soak overnight for biscuit and yeast bread recipes?

Thank you very much
Posey​

Quote:
erlibird,
do you think everybody else overdosed on probiotics?
Ginny

It makes me feel better so if it does the same for the others they are probably out building new coops and runs! I need to get some work done on mine too but the weather has been nasty! windy and cold so spending time indoors
sad.png

I made some yummy banana bread and used kefir in place of the milk. Good baking weather.

Back
Top Bottom