PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

I am getting 4 babies, they should be here tomorrow! I am so excited haven't had chicks before. The three I have now were already grown when I got them. How soon can I give the new babies kefir??

Quote:
I am gonna start mine on small amounts of Kefir almost Immediately (Probably within a couple of days!! Not a lot till their little systems adjust but maybe start out with a couple of cups on day 4 or 5 after birth and start increasing it! Mine get it regularrly and love it and I have only seen Great results (Egg Production and Health wise. Also noticed the last Moult only lasted about 2 weeks maks and then feathers started returning! Great stuff!! Mine will still not touch Kombucha in any form (Picky is all I can say)

Hey where have all my other Kefir Krazies dissapeared to (I have been gone way too long (Cant do that again. No More Illness)

Ernie

Hey Ernie.... I'm still here. Not doing kefir much anymore.
idunno.gif

I left it in the fridge on storage while we went out of town for 2 weeks, then I came home with walking phenumonia and ended up in bed for a while. All in all, the kefir has been in the fridge, in the same milk, for about a month now. Will it be ok to strain it and start again, or should I get new grains to start over. It looks really thick with a little wry.
th.gif

Hey Linda! I'm not Ernie but I did the same thing, left the kefir in the ame milk for a long time I mean. My grains were in the fridge for almost 6 weeks and they are alive and kicking and back to their same crazy growing kefir making selves! I did make the first batch and give it to the animals just in case, but every other batch has been the same as it was before their extended vacation. HTH.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am gonna start mine on small amounts of Kefir almost Immediately (Probably within a couple of days!! Not a lot till their little systems adjust but maybe start out with a couple of cups on day 4 or 5 after birth and start increasing it! Mine get it regularrly and love it and I have only seen Great results (Egg Production and Health wise. Also noticed the last Moult only lasted about 2 weeks maks and then feathers started returning! Great stuff!! Mine will still not touch Kombucha in any form (Picky is all I can say)

Hey where have all my other Kefir Krazies dissapeared to (I have been gone way too long (Cant do that again. No More Illness)

Ernie

Ernie,
Mine wouldn't eat the scoby either...so what I do is, cut it up in small pieces and put it in with something else....like a little tuna juice even some kefir. The trick is to cut it small and add something they really like!!
Ginny

Glad I peeked in to see what was going on. I have new chicks also got some Black Marans from Jerry, was worried last night the power went out but not for long and we were able to keep them warm. I thought about bringing one of my buff Orps in to set on them for the night but was a little worried that she might hurt them as she has not been broody sence last fall. So I had been wondering if it was to soon to start them with a little kefir. My hens love it and their combs are so bright red. It does make them look healthy, getting lots of eggs too
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom