PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

OK all you Kefir lovers I guess it's time for me to stop buying in the store and make it myself (and give it to the girls also) Can anyone give me a line on whom I buy the starter grains from or where? Thanks, I gave up the sourdough starter so I have room for another project!!!
frow.gif

Quote:
Ok Happyhappy give me a PM and I will see what I can do! I have been giving a lot of my extras to the chickens resently but have been building up so I can ship out 2 other people on here that want to get started

Ernie

This thread has me making kefir. I tried it for the first time today, it tasted like warm milk. I am going to try letting it sit longer. I was sent the grains from a woman on a cloth diapering board I belong to.
A kind bycer is giving me a scoby to make kombucha too. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Quote:
Daphne
How long has your kefir been brewing? It may just need a few more days.
Ginny

Only 36 hours. How long should it brew for? I though 24 hours...

Quote:
Daphne
How long has your kefir been brewing? It may just need a few more days.
Ginny

Only 36 hours. How long should it brew for? I though 24 hours...

I like mine at 3 or 4 days. Drink yours when you like the tate.

This thread is full of so much good information, it should be a sticky somewhere.

Anyway, I made some yogurt from a brand of greek yogurt that claims to have 5 different types of live cultures. What a great, smooth, tasty yogurt it makes! But I can't help but wonder how long I can keep this culture going? The reason I ask, I've read that some cultures can't be kept going indefinitely. True? Opinions?

In addition, I now have some apple cider vinegar going and WOWOW does it have a mother. I took some out to start red wine vinegar with and the remaining part sunk to the bottom. Within a day, another mother was starting on the top again. This was started with frozen apple juice and a few tablespoons of Braggs ACV. I think I have a broody here
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom