PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Quote:
I hope not cuz my critters are eating it.....can kefir spoil? What to look for?
I had the grains about a hand full when I strained it yesterday, I added it back to a cleaned jar, with about 2 1/2 cups of Organic whole milk, made about 3/4 of a quart jar, and tonight it's separating already, is it too many grains? should I put it in a bigger bowl? or something..........
or should I separate the grains into 2 quart jars? and then hpow much milk to add to the 2 jars? TY Kim

Only make the amount of kefir you need and less grains for you is probably the key. Covering the bottom of the jar is the upper most amount of grains you need for a quart. Feed the extra grains to the chickens or people. My son downs grains better than the kefir. Fermented kefir will stop processing when moved into the fridge. If you see mold toss it. . . otherwise it keeps a long time. it's all about how YOU like it. Everyone likes their kefir different ways and all those ways are correct.
hugs.gif

I'm excited to try the whip dip. Sounds yummy!

Quote:
I hope not cuz my critters are eating it.....can kefir spoil? What to look for?
I had the grains about a hand full when I strained it yesterday, I added it back to a cleaned jar, with about 2 1/2 cups of Organic whole milk, made about 3/4 of a quart jar, and tonight it's separating already, is it too many grains? should I put it in a bigger bowl? or something..........
or should I separate the grains into 2 quart jars? and then hpow much milk to add to the 2 jars? TY Kim

Only make the amount of kefir you need and less grains for you is probably the key. Covering the bottom of the jar is the upper most amount of grains you need for a quart. Feed the extra grains to the chickens or people. My son downs grains better than the kefir. Fermented kefir will stop processing when moved into the fridge. If you see mold toss it. . . otherwise it keeps a long time. it's all about how YOU like it. Everyone likes their kefir different ways and all those ways are correct.
hugs.gif

I'm excited to try the whip dip. Sounds yummy!

Kim, I agree with leeni. You can stir gently to combine before or after culturing. And it does tatse sour (think unsweetened yogurt). I have grown very fond of the sour taste. I also like it when it separates and gets thick. Strain it for a cream cheese like substance. Put on toast with your favorite jam/jelly! yum!!!
Ginny

Morning y'all
I have a question about the keifer, I want to start eating it but can't get past the taste....... if I use it in something like bread? would we get any benefit? or would cooking it so long kill any good little guys in it? TY Kim

Once kefir is exposed to high temps, the organisms in it are killed. Have you tried making a smoothie with your favorite fruit? I like mine with maple syrup. Don't give up yet...it is so good for you!

Not yet I will have to try it, My critters are getting the benefits, but we are not, my husband doesn't even like yogurt, so he will really be a stickler, I was sure I would like it, because I love yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese....Yummy, but too me it just tastes like sour milk and makes me gag....... so will have to try something else soon, thats why I was hoping I could use use it oin bread or cookies, or something.............argggggg oh well. will have to buy some banana's and blueberries and see if I can manage a glas of that. TY Kim

How funny. It tastes a lot like yogurt to me. Though if it's left to work too long it does get pretty tart. But oh my do my chickens love it!

Anyone here ever make sauerkraut? the nourishing traditions book has a recipe that calls for a few tablespoons of whey so I am trying it. I just started it 2 days ago. I put some whey from my kefir in it the crock with the cabbage and salt.

Back
Top Bottom