Problem-wandering gamebirds, annoyed neighbors

We have Old English Game Chickens who are great fliers and quite smart. So i know how tough they are to catch. Ours were roosting in a shed when we bought our property. We did not have to worry about neighbors when they free ranged (lots of acreage). One night a raccoon, we think, killed a couple of them in the shed and the rest of the flock refused to roost there. They started roosting in the trees at night like yours do. They would fly from branch to branch until they were roosting quite high. Amazingly, they stayed safe under the cover of the leaves, but we knew fall was coming. Fortunately, these birds loved treats. We coaxed them with treats (mostly bread) into the garage. We then closed the door while doing our best to block the entrance. Two hens ran out when we were closing the door despite our efforts. The chickens in the garage were rounded up by turning off the lights and we were able to pick them up by the light of a flash light. They couldn't see to run. Then we placed them in a rabbit cage and a card board box for transport. The poor chickens screamed like bloody murder, but we got them into their newly built run with a wire top. The two hens who we didn't get in the garage took another couple of weeks to round up, because they did not trust us any more. As I said, they are smart, so when they see their flock mates being trapped they probably won't fall for the same trap. Take some time to gain their trust in the first place and try to catch as many as you can at once, because you really only get one good chance with one technique. After that they will know to avoid that trap and you will need to regain their trust and try a different approach. good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Well, it has been several months since I first posted about my chicken/neighbor problem. In that time, one of the hens was lost to a fox, my husband shot the rooster, the flock was taken over by the Roos son, and they don't go across the street anymore.
And, my husband passed away.
I haven't had the energy to try catching my errant birds, so they still roost in the trees, and free range the yard. The two places on either side of me are empty, so it doesn't matter that the birds go there.
Neighbor never complained again after I explained they were basically wild.
And, someone has given me a debilitated turkey (another thread).
I have thought about moving from here and buying my own place (I'm renting) but I don't want to move away from my birds...
They are demanding lil sons of guns. They hop up on the fence every AM, and if I don't show up on time to feed them, they make a racket like only they can. They are spending more and more time in the fenced in part of the yard, so maybe this whole problem has cured itself.

Thank you so much for your kind concern. My nephew and his wife live near me, and I have some good friends, so I am doing well.

I too am very sorry for the loss of your husband and am glad to hear you have relatives near by as well as good friends.

I hope your neighbor has calmed down. I know there are all types of people in this world but if my neighbor's chickens/game birds wandered across the street & into my yard I know I would definitely be amused by the sight.

Well, if they are breeding, they are keeping it all under wraps. No babies this year so far.

Back
Top Bottom