Problem with Nutrena Chicken Feed

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your losses, hope the rest of your flock is OK.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't think I have ever read a worse story about chicken feed in my life I am so sorry for your loss
bow.gif

Sorry for your loss. Was it something in the feed or just feed gone bad from mishandling or old feed? Would help us all to know what the "food poisoning" means.

To all the members of BYC! Thank you very much for your sympathy and your feedback. Nutrena Naturewise Poultry Feed went bad. The Nutrena company cannot do anything for me because I throw the bag out with Lot code in it, unfortunately.

Well, I'm not getting Purina chicken feed that TS sell because at times their feed was old due to long storage at the warehouse. Blue Star or Kent recommended but too far away from my home for particular store distributors.

The only choice is Southern State brand feed that I would like to try on my flocks. Anyone know about this feed?

My chickens are not eating their Nutrena pellets. I went to the tractor supply to buy new layena crumbles and noticed the production date on the Nutrena still on the shelves was six months ago. I asked the check out lady if it goes bad and she said as long as the bag was not opened it should not go bad and it was going on sale soon. I bought the layena with a 10 day old date to switch out my old Nutrena.

You did the right thing. The lady was incorrect. I have learned the hard lesson after losing my hen. I"m trying to get a fresh feed for my chickens as possible and not to store any of the bag even it is not open. I would not purchase any of their "Nutrena' products because of my previous incident!

I feed Purina, bought at local feed stores, including TSC. I had difficulties with other feeds in the past, and so stick with Purina for my chickens. Two or three years ago, one of my chicks developed a neurological problem that turned out to be Vit. E deficiency. The only one of about fifty chicks I raised that year. Purina very kindly covered the costs I incurred, in spite of not having exact lot numbers on the feed, etc. We all mutually agreed that the feed was fine, but that individual chick needed more vit. E than normal. I make sure that the bags of feed are fresh, and don't store them long at home. Vitamins do deteriorate over time! Sorry for your loss. Mary

I always look over the national brands when I go to the farm store, and have thought of trying one or the other. But they do just seem to sit on the shelves… I use local grains from a local mill, and they always are bringing in new, fresh stock.

I suppose I will just stay with what works, and not, or try to not, have feed bag envy. The local feed comes in drab bags, the national brands in bright, pretty colors with nice fancy logos and such. It seems everyone in America is a sucker for the ad agencies and their clever work. After reading this, I'll just keep it simple.

Sorry for the loss of your bird(s),

RJ

I think it also might depend on the local feed mill; My experience with locally milled feeds have not been good, and I much prefer pellets to mash for adults, also. Any feed that sits at the store will loose quality over time. Mary

I don't know how helpful this is, but while I've never used Southern States myself, a friend of mine who has had chickens his whole life (he's in his 70's, so that's a lot of chickens!) was just telling me a few days ago that he feeds a high protein feed by Southern States and he swears by it.

Back
Top Bottom