Problem with Nutrena Chicken Feed

I feed Purina, bought at local feed stores, including TSC. I had difficulties with other feeds in the past, and so stick with Purina for my chickens. Two or three years ago, one of my chicks developed a neurological problem that turned out to be Vit. E deficiency. The only one of about fifty chicks I raised that year. Purina very kindly covered the costs I incurred, in spite of not having exact lot numbers on the feed, etc. We all mutually agreed that the feed was fine, but that individual chick needed more vit. E than normal. I make sure that the bags of feed are fresh, and don't store them long at home. Vitamins do deteriorate over time! Sorry for your loss. Mary
Isn't Purnia bad? I mean isn't it a big bad company?

No offense!

I advise the local feed.

Sorry for your losses, however I think it is really important to get more information about your situation with this feed.

How old are your hens?
How long have you been feeding this feed?
How do you store your feed?
What were you feeding prior to the Nutrena?
Are your hens laying yet?
Do you give your birds treats and what type?

Raising caution and awareness is great and appreciated but lets try and get some more information. Knowledge is power.

Other info: Nutrena is only currently recalling NatureWise Meatbird 22% Crumble in 40-lb bags due to high levels of sodium.

Local feed is only as good as the local feed mills want to make it, so may vary hugely between mills and over time. Recalls are good in that somebody noticed a problem and the company is trying to fix it. problems will occur; anyone here remember PBB in cattle feed??? We were doing large animal practice them, and biopsied MANY cows before they were killed...It was awful! Sorry for the digression, but those were not the good old days. Mary

No offense!

I advise the local feed.

Not sure where the OP is located, but I'm having good luck with Texas Naturals. They scarf it down and they seem healthy (now that I've wormed them, lol!).

I don't know about Purina chicken food, but I buy Purina Pro Plan for my dogs. I did a LOT of research on dog foods and that's the one most recommended by breeders. The cheaper "junk" Purina brands are as bad as all the others, but the Pro Plan is at least manufactured in the US and doesn't have as many recalls as other high-end brands (that I know of). I've been feeding it for years and my dogs have all been really healthy on it. So I don't know if a company is necessarily "bad" just because they are large - I think you have to look at the ingredients and where/how it is manufactured.

Not sure where the OP is located, but I'm having good luck with Texas Naturals. They scarf it down and they seem healthy (now that I've wormed them, lol!).

I don't know about Purina chicken food, but I buy Purina Pro Plan for my dogs. I did a LOT of research on dog foods and that's the one most recommended by breeders. The cheaper "junk" Purina brands are as bad as all the others, but the Pro Plan is at least manufactured in the US and doesn't have as many recalls as other high-end brands (that I know of). I've been feeding it for years and my dogs have all been really healthy on it. So I don't know if a company is necessarily "bad" just because they are large - I think you have to look at the ingredients and where/how it is manufactured.
Purina Pet Care is a completely different company than Purina Mills.
Purina Pet Care is owned by Nestle where as Purina Mills is owned by Land-O-Lakes.

Purina Pet Care is a completely different company than Purina Mills.
Purina Pet Care is owned by Nestle where as Purina Mills is owned by Land-O-Lakes.

Which is the dog food and which is the chicken food? (Pet Care vs. Mills).

Thanks for the clarification - I didn't realize they were two different companies. I just saw the name Purina and assumed they were the same. Wonder if I'm the only one that thought that?

Thanks for the tips, 'TheDens'. I guess I 'll go ahead to try the brand 'Southern States' poulttry layer pellets. Since I don"t have local mill nearby.

No offense!

I advise the local feed.
It depends on how you want to look at it.
Purina Mills (the company that makes livestock feed not the pet food) is owned by Land-O-Lakes and Land-O-Lakes makes one of if not the best Exotic Animal Diets you can get. Land-O-Lake/ Purina Mills make a cheap poultry feed under the name Purina and thats the stuff that you can get at TSC and most any other "farm" store (Start and Grow, Flock Raiser and Layena). Land-O-Lakes/Purina Mills also puts out a Wildlife Feed that is a very good feed and can contains animal proteins and fat in it which is a very good plus. Now Land-O-Lakes makes there own line of Exotic Animal Diets and in that line is a Game Bird Feed, there Game Bird Feed contains animal proteins and fats, and is a top of the line feed.

Back
Top Bottom