Problem: Yolks Break Easily or are Broken Inside Egg

Bumping this because a few "cartons" ago, I also experienced the same thing. This happened with more than a dozen eggs or so in the fall and this past winter. Would love to get additional thoughts!

This weekend I had my first eggs with this problem. Three were fine, and the fourth that I broke into the bowl looked like it had been scrambled inside the shell. I was afraid it was a bad egg and had spoiled the whole bowl. So I started again, breaking each egg into a small bowl before adding them together. One more out of five was like this. I scrambled two batches of eggs...one for hubs and me, and the other to feed back to my girls.

To those who have had this problem, I'm just wondering, how old are your hens? Half of my flock is 3 years old and the other half is 4 years old. Frankly, I am surprised that I am even getting any eggs from them. This morning I had 10 (but didn't gather them yesterday) eggs from 12 hens. I wondered if the problem with the eggs could be from the age of my chickens.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

I had a huge egg today - a double yolkier - one of the yolks was fine, the other was runny. My hens are a little over 2 years old. I still haven't found anything to explain it. It's not the same chicken all the time - different colored eggs. They all get the same food.

Weird.

This weekend I had my first eggs with this problem. Three were fine, and the fourth that I broke into the bowl looked like it had been scrambled inside the shell. I was afraid it was a bad egg and had spoiled the whole bowl. So I started again, breaking each egg into a small bowl before adding them together. One more out of five was like this. I scrambled two batches of eggs...one for hubs and me, and the other to feed back to my girls.

To those who have had this problem, I'm just wondering, how old are your hens? Half of my flock is 3 years old and the other half is 4 years old. Frankly, I am surprised that I am even getting any eggs from them. This morning I had 10 (but didn't gather them yesterday) eggs from 12 hens. I wondered if the problem with the eggs could be from the age of my chickens.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
All mine are a year or less old. So it isn't the age. Lately all my eggs are doing well.

Hello everyone. I've recently started to have this problem also. My girls are all under two years old. I have white leghorns, Americana, red sexlinks and a mix. I recently started feeding them all organic...they also get oyster shell and plenty of scraps. The only thing different is some unseasonably warm days. I have no other explanation for this new problem. ***almost forgot...my eggs were very thin shelled and I was getting a ton of broken eggs so I only recently became more diligent giving oyster shell. So could thay be the problem?

The one factor for our girls might be age. Our flock's age ranges from 6-2 years. Time flies! This is the first year we've had broken yolks. If I knew which hens, I could cull their their eggs. I suppose we'll test our eggs. And maybe time for a second pen as an elder ladies' retirement home.

Last edited:
Are eggs with broken yolks ok to eat? I broke an egg and it was broken before it hit the pan. Does not smell so I think its good. Anyone with experience eating these?

Back
Top Bottom