problems incubating

bigbum1984

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Kent, England
I've recently decided to incubate some eggs, they've been in my home-made incubator for 4 days now, but on the second night while i was asleep the light bulb blew and the temperature dropped to 74*f. I had to get up at 5 for work, so the light had not been off for long, will this have affected my eggs development? I'm worried that I'm incubating eggs that aren't developing, please help!!!

Only way to tell is to candle them at day 7 and compare to pictures here in the learning center under hatching chicks.
Mother hens do get off the nest every once in a while, though usually not for more than 1/2 hour or so.

Hi from KY!
Don't fret yet. I have forgotten to turn my incubator back on more times than I can count and quite frankly it never affected my hatches. I have left it off for over 8 hours in the winter and I still had great hatches. So just like the poster above me said, candle and see how things are going!

welcome-byc.gif

If they are fertile, the eggs should be fine. They frequently get colder than that when the hen leaves the nest. Welcome to BYC.

Thank you all for this reassuring thread. I just set eggs on Saturday and this morning the power went off for about 2 hours. The temp only dropped to 84* and I got it back up to 87* by layering coats and blankets on top. Last night I know some were developing b/c while turning I checked a few and could already see veining.

Back
Top Bottom