Process or wait?

Darin115

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Asheboro, NC
My cornish x chickens will be 8 weeks old on the December 22nd. I had a processing date of December 27th. They called and cancelled the date. Said they could do it on December 19th or January 7th.

Would you go ahead and do it on the 19th or wait until the 7th? I have plenty of feed left over. I just don't want to lose any birds by waiting another 2 weeks or so.

Darin

The question is - how are the birds holding up?

Mine, well, I under fed a little I think...I didn't want ANY leg issues...and I didn't have any...so i could have waited...but how are yours doing? If they are all healthy and such, I would say go ahead and wait...OR ...if not...go ahead and go with the 19th...they will of course be a little smaller then, but it's not so bad either - we like them small here for our use, but it's just us 2 that live here...

But, back to the point, how are your chickens doing health wise? That is going to be a big deciding factor...

I would do it the 19th if they are almost 8wks at that point, but as the pp said, it depends on how yours are doing. If they are on the smaller side and you haven't seen any leg issues or flip, it might be ok to wait. If one started to have issues, would you be able to process that one yourself before the Jan. processing date? If we waited until 10wks old, our birds would be far larger than we really want so I would probably go for the smaller birds given our preferences.

What % protein is your feed and do you feed 24/7?? I lost 2 birds to flip the last week and I processed at 8wks.. You run a risk of losing birds the longer you wait... I would choose the 19th..

It would depend on how sick of caring for them, you are. Me personally only had 11 FR's and by the time the 12 weeks were done, so was I. I really don't think 2 days are going to make that big of a difference in their size.

They seam to be doing well now. I lost 2 birds a couple of weeks ago. Just found them dead. They looked healthy up until they died. The other birds look great. They eat like horses.
I let them eat 24/7 but have turned the lights off a few nights and the feed consumption stayed the same. They laid around the feeder and ate in the dark I think. So I just leave the light on all the time now.

A week ago this past Sunday I weighed a few of them. They weighted 3.5-4.5 lbs. That was a week and 4 days ago. I am feeding them 21% grower feed. Joe Peterson something from Southern States.

The reason I ask is, I have been off work all week due to the death of my father. My first day back will be on Monday. If I send them to the processor on Monday I will have to take part of the day off. If I wait until the first week in January my buddy will take my birds with his birds. I just don't want to lose anymore since I have all that feed in them.

Darin

I don't think anyone here is going to promise that you won't lose any more birds over the 2 weeks. It depends on so many factors there's no sure fire answer.

Mine are right at 11 weeks and they are thundering around like a herd of water buffalos. One got a little gimpy but I think it's because I accidentally stepped on her foot when they were swarming the feeder. I feed a generous but limited amount of feed twice a day and they free range the rest of the daylight hours. At night they are locked in a dark stall.

My little flock probably are not as large as they could be, but I preferred giving them a longer and freer life so they can develop some flavor in their leg muscles.

They will be processed on Monday morning at 7:00am. I have not restricted feed at all. I think they are above average size for their age.

My buddy has 10 from the same batch mine came from. His is much smaller than mine. He decided to wait until January 9th to process.
I don't think all of mine will last 2 more weeks.

Darin

I did my own at about 12 weeks old. I only had 15 and only lost 1 who I hadn't gotten to he was about 15 weeks.

I am curious where are you sending yours to be processed and how does that work out--do they keep some meat or do you pay them for the work?

Back
Top Bottom