Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I have accidentally decapitated before using a broom shank and didn't find it particularly messy at all. I would certainly encourage you not to be afraid of that outcome as it is better to pull too hard rather than not hard enough, particularly if you are doing surplus cockerels at 16+ weeks as oppose to 6-10 week Cornish X, as their ligaments and sinews are much tougher.

I wonder if you could make a device that would do it... Say a board with a notch cut into it for the neck to rest in, then the bar on a hinge, so you lay the bird down and put the bar in place, then pull once standing on the bar. You could even do it with one foot on the bar since the bar is hinged...

They make something similar for rabbits that hangs on the wall.

I don't care about messy---I just want the bird dead as fast as possible. Thanks for the input, all, I quite appreciate it. :bow

I have accidentally decapitated before using a broom shank and didn't find it particularly messy at all. I would certainly encourage you not to be afraid of that outcome as it is better to pull too hard rather than not hard enough, particularly if you are doing surplus cockerels at 16+ weeks as oppose to 6-10 week Cornish X, as their ligaments and sinews are much tougher.
The birds I need to do in are x-large 1 yr old cocks, so yeah, pretty tough.

Also, I did use the length of rebar. The birds didn't exhibit any signs of distress due to weight. I think I had a nice surface for it: deep forest floor made up of many years of pine needles and leaves. The ground sort of bounces when you walk on it, but it wasn't so soft that I couldn't get a good pull on their neck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom