Production Red v's Road Island Red?

Quote:
They are a hybrid.

The Production Red can come in two different lines, the first of the two was bred solely from the R.I. Red as with the New Hampshire but was bred more for the egg production.
The second type of Production Red is a R.I. Red with some Leghorn blood added to add to the egg production and may have added to the brown-ish color of some of the Production Red that some hatcheries call there, "Dark Rhode Island Reds".

Now there are some hatcheries calling there Rhode Island Red/ New Hampshire cross a "Production Red" and to me there just another hybrid (cross) and not relay a Production Red.

Chris

Last edited:
here is my RIR
this photo was taken about a year ago. he was only 9 months old at the time.
he has filled out nicely....
40975_100_3707.jpg

Quote:
Nice Red Steve but I could leave you with a word of advice, keep a eye on the tail angle it should be at 20* above horizontal his is really flat.

Chris

I think a big problem is people who sell rir's eggs or chicks as heritage, when they're not to people who do care and know the difference. I can see why the true rir is one of the rarest chickens out there. Maybe they have their nose to high up in the air to breed true!
wink.png

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had hatchery RIRs and PRs and couldn't tell the difference and didn't care because they were both beautiful, friendly and , important to me , very productive layers. That said, If I ever collected eggs or hatched eggs from these birds, I would never sell them as anything other than they are. Hatchery quality and the hatchery I bougth my prs from said they were a RIR and NHR hybrid. I think that is the important and ehtical point.

Everybody has their own interests, passions and motivations. As I am becoming more interested in chickens, I can understand wanting to know about heritage lines, standards, breed variations etc. This forum is an invaluable source on info. Its a wonderful hobby for me. I'd love to be able to become involved in raising and selling eggs. I don't think I care about showing. But I hope that I will be sensible of learning as much as possible and representing my birds and eggs honestly and ethically. On that point I hope we can all agree.

Here is a true Rhode Island Red. From the Underwood Line which had its 100th anniversary last year.

And just my opinion there should be more hairsplitting about breeds. It how to keep breeds clean and pure. There should be different names for true RIR and average backyard RIR bird sold by hatcheries. I have to say before I seen a true one I had no clue. I didn't know what they were when I asked and it blew my mind cause I would have never guessed.

Last edited:
I don't know that there's a
lot of physical difference between PR and a hatchery type RIR they maybe a little lighter colored and slightly smaller. My understanding is that a PR is a N Hamp/RIR cross and not a sex link because its not color sexable which a sex link is(hence the name).
smile.png
My neighbor and mine experience is the PR seems to be affected by temp a little more in their lay. My neighbor sells eggs and changes his hens every year to 2 years at the most, and changes breeds to keep track of how old everyone is he tries to keep between 50 and 100. He lets me pick breeds sometime.

Back
Top Bottom