Production Red v's Road Island Red?

I have a question. I purchased two Rhode Island Red from a hatchery. Does this mean my birds are Production Red or are they considered RIR but not SOP? Just wondering. I love them and don't plan on breeding them.
I took this pic of the gals in the coop today. They are 8 weeks old.

I have a question. I purchased two Rhode Island Red from a hatchery. Does this mean my birds are Production Red or are they considered RIR but not SOP? Just wondering. I love them and don't plan on breeding them.
I took this pic of the gals in the coop today. They are 8 weeks old.

They are RIR's. just not show quality.

So if you want show quality birds where do you get them from? Do you have to pay $29-$199 per straight run chick and get them from somewhere like Greenfire Farms?

I've no clue where to get them and how much.

You could try looking up the Heritage Rhode Usjand Red site. Try post your questions there. They would be the people that could tell you more.

Just a word if warning though mist will tell you hatcheries don't sell pure RIR, but I think what happens is that hatcheries hatch so many at once and do not cull a hard if at all their birds. Massed produced and order are quickly filled.

But anyway check out the Herutage thread.

The birds sold as RIR these days are quite a far cry from the original, which some folks have kept alive through small breeders working hard to preserve a more heritage look to them. Most hatchery breeds have deteriorated from their Standard quite a bit. Most of the birds sold as RIR really, truly look very little like how they "should". It's kind of a shame, really.

Perhaps the term "production red" is inaccurate, but at least it serves some purpose. First, it is likely the hens will actually lay well. Second, it will be some kind of dull orang/brown/reddish color. Would I love some of the gorgeous, deep mahogany colored, brick shaped birds shown on the Heritage RIR thread? Oh yes. But if they are only capable of laying 160-180 eggs a year, as A.T. Hagan said, no thanks. It is possible that this combination of awesome look, true to type, combined with great laying, has gone extinct. It is super rare, in any case.

Here's a couple pix of my RIR from a hatchery. Not too awful bad, looks wise, but still a far cry from the standard.

69833_dscf0310.jpg
69833_dscf0063.jpg
Here is a pic of my feed store RIRs. I have 3 but BB wouldn't let me take her pic.
IMG_20180820_164336.jpg IMG_20180820_164458.jpg

Back
Top Bottom