Professional opinion needed! Breed and Sex....

1luckyfisherman

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2015
I'm a newbie when it comes to back yard chickens, but I have done my homework and have a very healthy flock of chickens and ducks (paired Pekins). The birds I have were purchased locally from another backyarder and I'm not 100% certain what I have.... I was supposed to be getting 1 black copper and 1 blue maran, an eastern egger and the other was a freebie. All straight run birds hatched around the middle of March which would put them close to 4 months old. I have done research on sexing and at the moment I believe I have 3 cockerels and 1 pullet. I believe the mostly black/brown bird is a cockerel and I'm not certain of the all brown bird, but believe the brown/gray bird is a pullet (has pepper around the neck). The easter egger I know for sure is a cockerel and therefore I didnt post a picture of him. Could someone more knowledgeable than I please let me know what breed you think each of these birds are as well as the sex. At the moment, their sexing is the most important. If these pics arent good enough I can take more.
Thank you all!

\

Last edited:
They all appear to be cockerels. The first two are mixed breeds, and the third is likely a Blue Copper marans.

They are barely 4 mos. to date. Noone has crow'd yet but I believe the blue maran is trying. Find them all puffed up and fighting from time to time, especially when one has a lizard or frog.

All appear to be cockerels.

first is mixed, second looks to be a New hampshire red/buff orp cross. Last I agree looks like a blue marans cockerel.

Yes, the second looks like a Red-x-BO. Here is what he should look like in a couple months (basically, just like a New Hampshire, except white legs):

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom