Waterfowllady

Songster
5 Years
Nov 3, 2018
California
I've read quite a few threads here on making a profit on poultry but wanted a more specific one, so here I am creating my own thread.
I have 1 acre of pasture in CA with 12 free-range ducks, 6 call ducks, 2 SOP dewlap African grey geese, and maybe 4 silver duck wings. Im trying to figure out what I should raise for-profit and not only that but what I can actually SELL readily not just how much they CAN go for. I take my birds to a local auction near me and my bantams sell for about $120 a trio! Of course, the auction takes a commission so I only get about $80. My geese and call ducks can both go for good money but my geese are more of a niche market and don't produce much a year, the call ducks as well.

What breed and species should I raise to sell that I could sell readily? I don't mind figuring out how to ship hatching eggs and maybe ducklings, chicks or goslings but Its much easier to sell as adults at the auction. Im asking for advice on what to sell and where to sell it. Could I make a social media page and website and post ads on craigslist or something similar for a more niche breed or would I be better off pursuing auctioning off my OEG bantams? Is pursuing more exotic species and going for more heritage geese and turkeys a better idea?

I would need more stock to continue producing but if the OEGB's are a good idea they are low cost and high profit.

Any ideas?

Coturnix quail is one of the most popular and profitable poultry currently because they take very little space to raise and reach POL in as little as 6 weeks and can be used for meat @8-10 weeks.
@Nabiki is also in California and can help you out more if you’re interested!

Coturnix quail is one of the most popular and profitable poultry currently because they take very little space to raise and reach POL in as little as 6 weeks and can be used for meat @8-10 weeks.
@Nabiki is also in California and can help you out more if you’re interested!
Would they sell at an auction? I know they can be sold (eggs, meat and live birds) for more specialty reasons but I don't really want to deal with marketing right now lol. The thing Im iffy on with quail is the sheer amount you need for them to produce good and that I'd have to build a pen for them

Would they sell at an auction? I know they can be sold (eggs, meat and live birds) for more specialty reasons but I don't really want to deal with marketing right now lol. The thing Im iffy on with quail is the sheer amount you need for them to produce good and that I'd have to build a pen for them
Can cotournix be kept on ground in pens? Wood is very expensive right now so Im not really looking to buy it for raised pens

depends what you call profit. are you talking about making a living? some fun money or just to break even?

before i go in my opinion i don't really make money off my birds there more for fun, but i am a market gardener who sells vegetables. also planning to get into honey.

i would suggest trying to market the birds yourself, going to a middle man like an auction (or in my case selling bulk to a middle man) your going to take a beating,
also everything is a numbers game, find out whats more profitable and quicker to raise, the more you sell for a good price the better. but keep in mind you want to offer a better product then others. even if i sold the same product at the same price as someone else, i want mine to be better quality, repeat customers are a happy customer.

depends what you call profit. are you talking about making a living? some fun money or just to break even?

before i go in my opinion i don't really make money off my birds there more for fun, but i am a market gardener who sells vegetables. also planning to get into honey.

i would suggest trying to market the birds yourself, going to a middle man like an auction (or in my case selling bulk to a middle man) your going to take a beating,
also everything is a numbers game, find out whats more profitable and quicker to raise, the more you sell for a good price the better. but keep in mind you want to offer a better product then others. even if i sold the same product at the same price as someone else, i want mine to be better quality, repeat customers are a happy customer.
Would like to be able to cover food costs and if I can make money to get some fancier birds and supplies then I've got no complaints. Mine are for fun as well, but its nice for them to cover themselves financially. How should I market them myself? I don't know where to start

Can cotournix be kept on ground in pens? Wood is very expensive right now so Im not really looking to buy it for raised pens
We rarely ever buy wood. Untreated/HT Pallets from Craigslist FREE section work great for many projects. Many use hardware cloth for the floor so poo can fall thru, used on grass as a tractor when they are old enough for temps. For bedding, paths and a compost covering in North America - we use ChipDrop.com - assuming you have space to receive a huge pile from a dump truck.

Back
Top Bottom