Prolapse

Dwatkins2016

Hatching
Apr 17, 2018
Ive had chickens my entire life(31yrs) and never had a prolapsed chicken. About 4 weeks ago I bought chickens at a flea market with the intentions of reselling to someone who was looking for some. I picked up 9 golden commets they were supposedly starting to lay.
My customers did not want them all yet so I brought them home kept them separate from my own flock and wormed them.
One died the next day and the rest had some diarrhea but all began laying eggs immediately. HUGE EGGS!
I left for the beach Thursday and we had some bad weather and now we are home to 3 new chickens with some NASTY prolapses.
Can I save them? They’ve been soaked and pushed back in but it’s crusty on two and not staying in at all.
Should I try selling them to my meat bird customer since it is past the wormer wait time? Or keep doctoring chickens that weren’t purchased for me. I don’t want them in pain but if I loose 3 more I’ll definitely be taking a big loss.
Also is this related to some illness, if so I’ll need to remove them completely from my place.
Everyone at the flea market is supposed to be npip.
I’m obviously lost.
Thanks

Welcome to BYC. Have you made extra calcium (crushed oyster shell) available to your birds? Some birds may also suffer egg binding with a prolapse.

If you are seeing any crusts or black skin, they may have necrotic tissue. That needs to be removed by soaking in Epsom salts or soapy warm water, and gentle scrubbing. If these birds are healthy and not sick, you could butcher them right away. That is how most people handled prolapses in the past.

It is helpful to see pictures of each prolapsed vent to know how to help you. High production hens such as golden comets can be prone to prolapses and they may recur, since they lay huge eggs daily, and one prolapse may cause vent damage, especially if the other hens have pecked at it.

It can be time consuming to treat a prolapse with trying to get them to stop laying for a couple of weeks to let the vent heal. Darkness in a cage for 16 hours out of every 24, can help stop laying.

NPIP does not mean a lot with keeping diseases out of your flock. That doesn’ mean they are free of Mareks or respiratory diseases. Buying birds at flea markets or swaps can be risky. Many people post on BYC about bringing in new birds who have infected their other chickens.

Two are looking better and one laid another egg today and we just had to put her down. I had soaked them last night and put them in the dark. Also, sprayed them with vetricin and then blue.
Definitely won’t buy there anymore.
Pictures are of the one we just put down.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 01814256-B658-4587-87FB-D781F26B455D.jpeg
    01814256-B658-4587-87FB-D781F26B455D.jpeg
    788.3 KB · Views: 20
  • BDD0C3AA-691F-4A12-AF88-9DE7E0DD54EC.jpeg
    BDD0C3AA-691F-4A12-AF88-9DE7E0DD54EC.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom