Prolapsed vent won’t stay in?

Blakeduhh

Hatching
Oct 8, 2023
I have a 2 year old Silver Laced Wyandotte hen.

This morning I noticed her bottom was covered in poop & upon further investigation noticed her vent had prolapsed.

After noticing it, I soaked her in warm water with a little dish soap, gently cleaned the area, and easily pushed the vent back in.

I let her free range with the flock until I noticed it had come back out. I re-soaked her, cleaned the area, packed it with sugar, pushed it back in. I put her in the dark kennel with electrolyte water.

Since being in the cage, her vent has popped back out 4 times. It seems bigger & harder to get back in. I tried to put it back in & hold it in place but she is just straining, It is currently out. I put coconut oil on it to keep it moist.

I don’t know if I should keep trying to put it in or let her rest for the night and soak her/repeat in the morning or what else? What should I do?

I plan on buying Vetericyn and hydrocortisone in the morning as I read those can help.

Last edited:
Here is a good article by @azygous. The article itself is about a hen who has a prolapsed vent that won’t stay in due to the hen being egg bound, but I feel there is some good information in there about treating the prolapse that won’t stay in, also. Not sure if the whole article is applicable in your case, but still some good things to be aware of in there.

I haven’t treated a prolapsed vent before, but it sounds like you’re doing things right. Just be sure to keep it moist and if it won’t stay in, perhaps with some rest the swelling will subside.

Back
Top Bottom