Prolapsed Vent

miraclz5

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
Does anyone have any experience with a hen with a prolapsed vent? We discovered our almost 2 yr old Golden Laced Wyandotte presented with a prolapsed vent this morning. We have tried a couple of times, after cleaning it, applying antibiotic ointment to push it back in place....sadly we have not had any luck. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Andrea

Hi Miraclz5! My 2 yr old leghorn had the same problem. Seperate her from the flock to avoid pecking. With a rubber gloved finger and some non pain killing hemorrhoid cream push the protruding tissue back in. You may have to repeat this a couple of times. When the swelling goes down return her to the flock. I got this advice from my vet. It worked for me. I hope it works for you!

Thank you! We tried 3 times yesterday with Vaseline as a animal husbandry book suggested. I will get some preparation H today when I am out and try that. Keeping our fingers crossed and praying!

I do not think that vaseline would be of any use in helping to shrink the prolapse, as has been suggested use prep-h or honey, keep your eye on her as she may also have an infection from the prolapse, you may need to dose her with an antibiotic.

Good luck

Suzie

I do not think that vaseline would be of any use in helping to shrink the prolapse, as has been suggested use prep-h or honey, keep your eye on her as she may also have an infection from the prolapse, you may need to dose her with an antibiotic.

Good luck

Suzie

She might also have an eggs still in there.

Back
Top Bottom