Prolapsed vent

Just bathed her all is better prolapse fully back in without me pushing it back in! shes very lively now so back in the coop she goes, although i think she enjoyed her stay at the ritz!!

Just wanted to throw in some info on this thread. About a week ago I had a Wyandotte who became prolapsed. I read a lot of posts on BYC and began treatment on her. I soaked her in warm water, gently cleaned the area, used cotton balls soaked in Witch Hazel, gently pushed the protrusion in, dried her as much as possible and used Preparation H on the vent. It only took two treatments and she was ok. I am keeping watch on her, since she is back laying again, but looks promising for complete recovery.

Thanks for the great advice BYC friends. (probably the best advice to me was "don't panic, it happens to everybody", because I freaked out at first, lol)

HI, your picture looks like my girls backside. I have been bathing in epson salt, rinsing with witch hazel, putting prep H. She has passed an egg but seems to be straining. I have been about to hold her in, and the swelling is down but not the straining. Not sure what else to do? She's eating, pooping, laying. I' will try the honey wash as well. Any suggestions would be helpful.

]need advice on what to do for my hen....

Here's what I did. First put her indoors in low light to stop the egg laying. This will give her body a chance to heal and slow down. Give her high quality food that is calcium rich. I soaked my Mary in epson salt and warm water for 20-30 minutes in the AM and PM. Generally she seemed fine but the prolapse did not stay in. After the bath, I put witch hazel and prep H and I gently pushed her back in. I did that for about 4 or 5 days. But she was not holding in. So one day while I was bathing her I took a very soft tooth brush and brushed around the swollen prolapse. That seemed to stimulate the muscles to contract, I continued with the prepH and witch hazel and honey wash. It helped, then I switched to unfiltered,organic coconut oil which was a white hard paste. I put it inside and out and again she seemed to respond. So for about four or five days I gently brushed her butt, the swelling went down, the baths decreased, I continued to keep her back end as clean as possible.Working her slowly off of all kinds of treatments. Once the prolapse stayed in I would wash with witch hazel and honey. I kept my girl in for r three days or four after the prolapse held in Couple of things... How does it smell? I worked to keep the cage clean and to prevent infection. If she is eating, give her lots of greens, fruits and cheese as well as seeds. It took about two weeks before my girl was ready to get back into the group. I had to be careful to reintroduce her. I continue to feed all my girls high quality food and monitor how many eggs are produced.

I have a week old chick that I got at hatchery and noticed when I brought home it had dryed Poo stuck on down..I put its rear in a lid of warm water and gentle massage til it come of .I had to thus morning to..it's eating and drinking n running around..it looks like after I get dryed up Poo off that it's rear will pucker in out a littl..I got 10 Barred Rock and two silkies and the splash silkie is the one with thus trouble, none of the others seem to have it

Last edited:
I have a week old chick that I got at hatchery and noticed when I brought home it had dryed Poo stuck on down..I put its rear in a lid of warm water and gentle massage til it come of .I had to thus morning to..it's eating and drinking n running around..it looks like after I get dryed up Poo off that it's rear will pucker in out a littl..I got 10 Barred Rock and two silkies and the splash silkie is the one with thus trouble, none of the others seem to have it
Keep it's vent cleaned every day, and put some Preparation H or honey on it to help reduce swelling, or a little vegetable oil with a QTip to lubricate the vent opening. Dip it's beak into the water throughout today and tomorrow, in case it is constipated or dehydrated. Add some probiotics to the water. You may also give it a couple of drops of molasses or dark corn syrup as a laxative.

Back
Top Bottom