Prolapsed vent

I am happy to say I spent the day getting her back with the other girls and getting them back outside. I plan to keep a very close eye on her, but she laid yesterday and it stayed in. I was such a happy mama I almost cried. Now I just have to get my girl with a hurt foot or leg nursed back to health. 
Perfect!! :)

I am so sad....we are going to have to put down our girl with the hurt foot. With all my attention to Genny, Nugget wasn't getting food like she needed and is not going make it.
hit.gif
I feel so awful. I saved one life at the expense of another.

I am so sad....we are going to have to put down our girl with the hurt foot. With all my attention to Genny, Nugget wasn't getting food like she needed and is not going make it.
hit.gif
I feel so awful. I saved one life at the expense of another.
What is wrong with Nugget? Is tube feeding her an option?

She has gone lame. I can't see anything wrong with her feet or legs. She just lays and isn't eating. I've tried but nothing has worked.

She has gone lame. I can't see anything wrong with her feet or legs. She just lays and isn't eating. I've tried but nothing has worked.
Have you looked up information for Marek's Disease? No crop issues? How long has she been like this?

Unfortunately sometimes they are just too frail and nothing can be done.

Hi P Wand and others on the forum,

Turns out we did not have a prolapse, thank God! We got the rear end cleaned up and back to a healthy pink color minus a few feathers. Checked her crop and it was very hard, a little bigger than a baseball yesterday. She has been like this to some extent since Jan 10th or right in that ball park. We could not afford to take her to a vet and can not find one in our town or surrounding areas who treats chickens. I continued to search online resources and lucked up on a vet sight with thorough, detailed diagnosis and photos. Gertie has a combination of impacted and sour crop. We treated her with the olive oil followed by a warm water flush yesterday, after the massage the lump was movable and a bit softer. This morning it was hard again. After finding this sight today with precise information and photos we tried the olive oil, massage and water again today. Did this twice waited to see if she would vomit or poop, nothing after the first try. Later in the afternoon we gave the oil followed by a warm water flush, followed the photo, turned her upside down and continued massaging her crop. She finally vomited quite a bit after we understood our part in helping her. The content was a combination of deep green to black and had the most awful smell. We did this twice and the lump was pretty much gone but we could still feel a fullness in the chest. She seemed to be swallowing some of the rot back down as we sat her back up after a few seconds each time so we're sure there's more to come out. This is a first time for us following this procedure so we were a bit hesitant to do this more than twice. We put her back in her separate cabinet with fresh water and a heat lamp, looking to be about 22 tonight. Just checked her again and tonight is the first night she has tucked herself in. Before she would be standing under the lamp every time we checked throughout the night. Thank you all for your posts and suggestions and thank God for the vet who took time to share. We are not able to get Nystatin due to the vets not treating chickens, we can not get a Rx. I have read a number of posts saying they used monistat 3 cut into 3 pieces used 4 days with success. Also read post where some used Amoxicillin with success when not able to get other antibiotics but no dosage or length of treatment was posted. I do have Amoxicillin 250 mg but did not want to start a course without that information. Gertie was eating a little but wanted only greens and water, she also likes aloe so I allowed her to pick at it as she liked. Yesterday and today she refused a soft scrambled egg with moist feed and was not drinking very much, does not eat yogurt on her own. I read it causes diarrhea so I did not feed her though the syringe. She still moves around and talks but has not pooped since Monday which was very little and a white liquid. She has not laid eggs during this time. Any suggestions are welcomed. I will update tomorrow.

Hi P Wand and others on the forum,

Turns out we did not have a prolapse, thank God! We got the rear end cleaned up and back to a healthy pink color minus a few feathers.  Checked her crop and it was very hard, a little bigger than a baseball yesterday. She has been like this to some extent since Jan 10th or right in that ball park. We could not afford to take her to a vet and can not find one in our town or surrounding areas who treats chickens. I continued to search online resources and lucked up on a vet sight with thorough, detailed diagnosis and photos. Gertie has a combination of impacted and sour crop. We treated her with the olive oil followed by a warm water flush yesterday, after the massage the lump was movable and a bit softer. This morning it was hard again.  After finding this sight today with precise information and photos we tried the olive oil, massage and water again today. Did this twice waited to see if she would vomit or poop, nothing after the first try. Later in the afternoon we gave the oil followed by a warm water flush, followed the photo, turned her upside down and continued massaging her crop. She finally vomited quite a bit after we understood our part in helping her. The content was a combination of deep green to black and had the most awful smell. We did this twice and the lump was pretty much gone but we could still feel a fullness in the chest. She seemed to be swallowing some of the rot back down as we sat her back up after a few seconds each time so we're sure there's more to come out. This is a first time for us following this procedure so we were a bit hesitant to do this more than twice. We put her back in her separate cabinet with fresh water and a heat lamp, looking to be about 22 tonight. Just checked her again and tonight is the first night she has tucked herself in. Before she would be standing under the lamp every time we checked throughout the night. Thank you all for your posts and suggestions and thank God for the vet who took time to share. We are not able to get Nystatin due to the vets not treating chickens, we can not get a Rx. I have read a number of posts saying they used monistat 3 cut into 3 pieces used 4 days with success.  Also read post where some used Amoxicillin with success when not able to get other antibiotics but no dosage or length of treatment was posted. I do have Amoxicillin 250 mg but did not want to start a course without that information. Gertie was eating a little but wanted only greens and water, she also likes aloe so I allowed her to pick at it as she liked. Yesterday and today she refused a soft scrambled egg with moist feed and was not drinking very much, does not eat yogurt on her own. I read it causes diarrhea so I did not feed her though the syringe. She still moves around and talks but has not pooped since Monday which was very little and a white liquid. She has not laid eggs during this time. Any suggestions are welcomed.  I will update tomorrow.
It would be best you start your own thread as this is not your thread and no longer about the same issue.

Last edited:
Thank you, I am learning to use the forum and did not realize I posted in the wrong area. I will figure out how to re post.

Back
Top Bottom