Prolapsed vent

I had a hen died May 10 and tonight I came home and found another one dead. They were both under the coop in the shade and no injuries. I hadn't noticed them acting strangely and they were both laying okay. Both of them looked like their vent was out a little and red but was wondering if they died of prolapsed vent or does the vent puff out a little bit upon death? They were both about 2 years old and hadn't been laying overly large eggs.

Was there blood and did they look like the other chickens had pecked at them? Egg binding can be one cause of prolapse, and if the other chickens spot any red tissue, they will attack it sometimes killing the hen. Egg binding can also kill a chicken in about 2 days. I would either do a necropsy myself to examine the internal organs and gizzard for impaction, and look inside the intestines for worms, or I would get a necropsy done by the state vet. I haven't noticed any prolapses after death of a chicken before, but I haven't seen a lot.

No blood but the vent "puff" was a little red.
Was there blood and did they look like the other chickens had pecked at them? Egg binding can be one cause of prolapse, and if the other chickens spot any red tissue, they will attack it sometimes killing the hen. Egg binding can also kill a chicken in about 2 days. I would either do a necropsy myself to examine the internal organs and gizzard for impaction, and look inside the intestines for worms, or I would get a necropsy done by the state vet. I haven't noticed any prolapses after death of a chicken before, but I haven't seen a lot.

No blood but the vent "puff" was a little red. Neither hen had any injuries or signs of picking from the others. This last one I know laid an egg yesterday.

Buff Orpington hen 4 months old. On Monday noticed a large protrusion from vent. It was a normal sized egg which eventually came out. Now red mass on third day. Keeping in dark room, Epsom salts, sugar on the wound, and prep H. Prolapse will not stay in. Doesn't appear to have any eggs being made. What chance does she have of surviving. I am putting her in with her 14 sisters, and watching closely while I clean her cage. Should I continue treatment or later in the week maybe other choice.

Continue with the treatment...keep her away from her Sister's as much as possible as they may start to peck at the prolapse...you can apply honey to her vent area...it has anti bacterial properties and does help to shrink the prolapse...maybe give her regular baths and try to push the vent back inside her...smother with honey and continue to keep her in a darkened place...it can take several attempts to get the prolapse to stay inside...the longer it is out of her...it will become necrotic and that gives you more problems..

Good luck!

Buff Orpington hen 4 months old. On Monday noticed a large protrusion from vent. It was a normal sized egg which eventually came out. Now red mass on third day. Keeping in dark room, Epsom salts, sugar on the wound, and prep H. Prolapse will not stay in. Doesn't appear to have any eggs being made. What chance does she have of surviving. I am putting her in with her 14 sisters, and watching closely while I clean her cage. Should I continue treatment or later in the week maybe other choice.

Use preparation h, that will help shrink the tissue. And try to push it back in too using the preparation h.

Hello, we are currently going through the same thing. Our hen has been in solitary for 3 days now and after bathing, scubbing, pushing the bits back in and applying honey the prolapse doesn't seem to be getting any better and is really starting to smell. We have kept her in the dark with lots of water but minimal food. I'm at such a loss as what to do as she's eating and drinking fine and enjoys her daily baths but that's not a life for a chicken. If I put her in the coop the other will eat her alive especially the top hen (she's huge) is the kindest thing to put her to sleep? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
sad.png

Hello, we are currently going through the same thing. Our hen has been in solitary for 3 days now and after bathing, scubbing, pushing the bits back in and applying honey the prolapse doesn't seem to be getting any better and is really starting to smell. We have kept her in the dark with lots of water but minimal food. I'm at such a loss as what to do as she's eating and drinking fine and enjoys her daily baths but that's not a life for a chicken. If I put her in the coop the other will eat her alive especially the top hen (she's huge) is the kindest thing to put her to sleep? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
sad.png

Try preparation h. It worked one time for mine but the others didn't make it. Sorry.

Try using any water based lubricant,coat to gently push prolapse back in. Granulated sugar can also be used to help shrink swollen tissue. Never leave protruding tissue exposed to the air,keep it lubricated with a water based lubricant,this help to prevent tissue drying out. Is tissue still viable,any indication of tissue being dead(black/necrotic)asking b/c you mention tissue is starting to smell, Give her calcium in the form of liquid calcium,tums/calcium tablets,calcium helps to stimulate muscle contraction.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom