Protecting Outdoor Feeders

Has N.Hollywood eradicated

Has N. Hollywood now eradicated their posssum, raccon, coyote and mt. lion problem?
I wish! (actually, no I don't, altho where I am I'm not likely to see a mtn lion mainly coyotes), but there primary danger comes from hawks and dogs. And there is such a thing as free-ranged chickens, and partially free-ranged chickens. My 20 have 80ft2 of coop space, 160ft2 of predator-proof run, and about 450ft2 of covered but not hermetically sealed run. And that final run gets rotated, and parts sealed off to regrow and stuff. I'm not sorry about that. And in reality, I guess even their smaller run isn't really safe, as the floor is ground, not hardware cloth. Give me a break! I'm just being realistic.

Why are you not going to predator proof the run?
I just don't think it's necessary. the netting will keep hawks off them, and light fencing MOST predators, but I'm not interested in hermetically sealing it.
A number of us have runs that aren't fully predator proof, whether due to cost or circumstances. I call mine "predator resistant" but I'm relying more on the fact that I can see and hear what's going on outside (and am usually at home) than the strength of the fencing.

As long as OP is aware of the risks and pros/cons of her run and is willing to accept those, then the run works for her needs.

A number of us have runs that aren't fully predator proof, whether due to cost or circumstances. I call mine "predator resistant" but I'm relying more on the fact that I can see and hear what's going on outside (and am usually at home) than the strength of the fencing.

As long as OP is aware of the risks and pros/cons of her run and is willing to accept those, then the run works for her needs.

I personally accept the trade-off of having greater space in the open run with the electric poultry netting fence with the risk of possibly losing birds to hawks.

But my flock are not pets.

I wish! (actually, no I don't, altho where I am I'm not likely to see a mtn lion mainly coyotes), but there primary danger comes from hawks and dogs. And there is such a thing as free-ranged chickens, and partially free-ranged chickens. My 20 have 80ft2 of coop space, 160ft2 of predator-proof run, and about 450ft2 of covered but not hermetically sealed run. And that final run gets rotated, and parts sealed off to regrow and stuff. I'm not sorry about that. And in reality, I guess even their smaller run isn't really safe, as the floor is ground, not hardware cloth. Give me a break! I'm just being realistic.
I see a lot of people on this site act like you HAVE to have your run completely sealed and predator proof. And while that’s ideal, it’s not always necessary or realistic. Hawks are my main predator too. I’m putting some string up. 🤷‍♀️ My coop is secure, they’ll be in there at night and that’s when any ground predators might wander in my unprotected run. I got more chickens than I needed and if predators become a problem I can make adjustments later.

I *think* what I’m going to do is leave water in the run and then get one of those treadle feeders too. I’ll bring their fermented feed out any time I want during the day, that’s usually gone by nighttime and that’ll be that 🤷‍♀️

I know, not fool proof, but I think that might work best for me.

I see a lot of people on this site act like you HAVE to have your run completely sealed and predator proof. And while that’s ideal, it’s not always necessary or realistic.

Yes.

Risk tolerance assessment largely depends on whether the chickens are pets or livestock -- with the livestock people being more tolerant of occasional losses. :)

L
Yes.

Risk tolerance assessment largely depends on whether the chickens are pets or livestock -- with the livestock people being more tolerant of occasional losses. :)
lol yeah. I mean I’d like to think mine are somewhere in between pet and livestock. I live in a neighborhood so if there’s a coyote or raccoon out and about during the day it’s hot off the press news. Hawks are my main predator but, at the moment, I’m just not willing to fully enclose their run. They have a nice big space and sometimes quality of life is more important than quantity? 🤷‍♀️

So if I understand correctly the idea is a small protected area (within an existing run) with an automatic door to let them access feed during the day? And the goal is to allow you to avoid having the kids feed them every day?

Hmm. How many chickens? My first thought is that in order to create a big enough area where they can all eat this food area will end up being pretty large. Like, in the morning my chickens all race out the door to get to the grass... But your chickens are trying to get food, so if the enclosure you're making is too small, they will simply stop when they get to the food and create a huge traffic jam at the door. Nobody can get in or out, and only a few chickens are eating.

My honest gut reaction would be that the amount of effort to make this enclosure may be about the same to simply secure the run. But, not knowing size, it's hard to tell.

So, trying to solve for all of this, I'd probably start by deciding the container. Maybe a diy trashcan autofeeder with holes cut out at the bottom (you tube has examples). This would allow you to easily remove lid and refill. But then you need to secure it, which is where it gets difficult. You effectively need to build a decent size 'run' around it. Cattle panel circle (16ft so 5 ft diameter?). Hardware clothed, skirted, and topped with chicken wire? Can near edge furthest from entrance so chickens don't jam? Chicken wire top goes around can so can easily feed.

which honestly seems like enough work you might be better off just securing the run. I think that's the basic issue here - you need a rather large, very secure, feed enclosure that is big enough to handle your chicken quantity comfortably accessing food when it opens . In other words, a run.

the other option would be multiple self secure feed containers that open on a timer, but after a quick look I didn't see any real options online. But some type of autofeeder might be the way? Ive seen some ideas online but nothing id consider secure in and of itself

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem

Hi, we ripped down our old coop and enclosed run and are building new. Our new coop will open to a lightly protected run (netting overhead, some areas of hardware cloth, but not predator proof by any means). I want to feed outside coop, water inside and out. I'm thinking of building a small predator proof shade encloure in the run to house food and water, with solar/sun activated door.

Does anyone do this? I'm trying to design from the outset to make my life easier, bc i don't want to have to go out and seal up the feeders at night against rodents-or nag my kids to do it.
imo 👍 it’s a splendid idea to make a rodent proof mini-shed with auto-pop door on light for the chickens.

I have a rodent proof coop with an attached small run. In the run part with sand floor I leave chicken feed and water overnight. It has an auto-pop door to the larger, not rodent proof, run. Never had problems with rodents in it bc it has HWC (1cm - ½”) , a solid roof and pavement around it. What helps too : there are neighbours cats who like to catch mice.

The only uninvited guests so far are snails (end of summer) , sparrows and tits.

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly the idea is a small protected area (within an existing run) with an automatic door to let them access feed during the day? And the goal is to allow you to avoid having the kids feed them every day?

Hmm. How many chickens? My first thought is that in order to create a big enough area where they can all eat this food area will end up being pretty large. Like, in the morning my chickens all race out the door to get to the grass... But your chickens are trying to get food, so if the enclosure you're making is too small, they will simply stop when they get to the food and create a huge traffic jam at the door. Nobody can get in or out, and only a few chickens are eating.

My honest gut reaction would be that the amount of effort to make this enclosure may be about the same to simply secure the run. But, not knowing size, it's hard to tell.

So, trying to solve for all of this, I'd probably start by deciding the container. Maybe a diy trashcan autofeeder with holes cut out at the bottom (you tube has examples). This would allow you to easily remove lid and refill. But then you need to secure it, which is where it gets difficult. You effectively need to build a decent size 'run' around it. Cattle panel circle (16ft so 5 ft diameter?). Hardware clothed, skirted, and topped with chicken wire? Can near edge furthest from entrance so chickens don't jam? Chicken wire top goes around can so can easily feed.

which honestly seems like enough work you might be better off just securing the run. I think that's the basic issue here - you need a rather large, very secure, feed enclosure that is big enough to handle your chicken quantity comfortably accessing food when it opens . In other words, a run.

the other option would be multiple self secure feed containers that open on a timer, but after a quick look I didn't see any real options online. But some type of autofeeder might be the way? Ive seen some ideas online but nothing id consider secure in and of itself

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem
ya, the real problem is I can't rely on my adult kids to clean up and secure the feeders at night when I'm not around due to the amount of work currently involved. But ya, a separate pop-door area is not too realistic.

what I really need is probably a feed holder that is easier and more effectively secured... I was using spill-resistant DIY feeder from Roosty's, and that had nice covers for each port that were really fast and easy to put on. But then I went and bought a feed silo from CoopWorx (way too much $$, why did I do that?!), and the covers for those feed ports are next to impossible to get on and don't stay on securely.

So then I decided I'm just gonna throw an upside down metal garbage can over the feed silo at night, but normal size cans don't fit over the CoopWorx Silo's base! Ugh.

Another solution is to feed twice a day instead of having food always available, or keep the feeder in the coop.

Honestly, right now they aren't really spilling much feed and we are leaving the feeder out there at night with minimal "disturbance". I think I may swallow my pride and admit I wasted a ton of $$ and go back to the roosty's feeder that's quick and easy to cover, and also get a cat from our local shelter's semi-feral room.

The only way to make a run truly rat-proof run would be hardware cloth on all 6 sides of this 400ft2+ space, and I'm not doing that.

Back
Top Bottom