Proud Cayuga owners!!!!

We are new to ducks- Pekin eggs in the 'bator & 4 month-old Rouens that are VERY skittish- is it just the breed or are there breeds that are friendly & not terrified of me? What are the best places to purchase Cayuga ducks? We are an hour from Cayuga Lake, NY where these ducks apparently originated. Thanks!

I have 4 Cayuga ducklings....around 2 weeks old??? they are still so skittish. I hold them atleast twice a day, let them play in the bathtub, etc. But every time I reach into their bin they wig out, how can I help them be more comfortable with my "scary hands" :)

I have 4 Cayuga ducklings....around 2 weeks old???  they are still so skittish.  I hold them atleast twice a day, let them play in the bathtub, etc.  But every time I reach into their bin they wig out, how can I help them be more comfortable with my "scary hands" :)

Talk to them in very nice soothing tones and try hand feeding them. You can even just use their feed or maybe a treat. I figured out mine love mealworms so I used to feed them those all crunched up in my hand. I also just set mine in my lap and they will lay down after a minute or so of trying to get down. I also rub their chests they love that and the top of their bills. Mine are very social with me and most anyone else to. Go with having them eat out of your hands first. Hope this helps :)

Hello I hope not to offend anyone as most of the post here seem to be from pet owners but has anyone raised Cayugas for meat birds??

I raised Pekings last year and they were very lovely to raise and watch grow. They all went to the table as I do not have duck winter housing yet and live in Vermont. I would like to start a duck flock that I can perpetuate and overwinter . I find ducks very charming but I am also passionate about raising our families food when possible. Does anyone out there have experience with the Cayuga duck as far as homesteading and using it for meat? Thanks a bunch

I have read that they were popular as a meat bird, but they lost status when more and more people started to butcher the pekins...because their skin was a more appeasing color.

They are a big bodied bird so they should provide enough meat.

BUT - I have yet to butcher anything so I might not be the best person to listen to.
lau.gif

And about the Cayuga's being a bit skittish.
I have noticed that of all the breeds we have, the Cayuga's are the most stand offish. But they come running right along with the rest when you go out to feed.

One thing I do know is; then they are young and in the brooders, try crouching first before reaching in. Most birds are frightened when something from above comes in after them...no matter how many times you pet them...just the act of coming at them from above is frightening. Reach toward their stomach instead of toward there back.

Good luck

I don't yet but plan on trying once I get my flock established. From my research they have excellent meat quality (some say similar to beef) but the black feathers are a downfall when plucking so a number of sites suggest skinning them. This time next year I should have greater insight.

Hello I hope not to offend anyone as most of the post here seem to be from pet owners but has anyone raised Cayugas for meat birds??

I raised Pekings last year and they were very lovely to raise and watch grow. They all went to the table as I do not have duck winter housing yet and live in Vermont. I would like to start a duck flock that I can perpetuate and overwinter . I find ducks very charming but I am also passionate about raising our families food when possible. Does anyone out there have experience with the Cayuga duck as far as homesteading and using it for meat? Thanks a bunch

I have a few extra males from this past hatch & may have a few more from my incubator eggos that are due the 22nd. I plan on raising them & keeping the most well behaved of the drakes & processing the rest. As others have said- I have read about a nice savory beefy flavor & the plucking issue. If you are not heart set on cooking up their skin, instead of plucking, you can just skin them. That way you save time & work during processing. I hear you on raising your own food when possible. That is my goal as well, I am slowly working towards a full on farm.

My first two cayuga ducks arrived last week, I've also got some 7 week old pekings with which I'm hoping to create a sustainable meat and egg flock.

Back
Top Bottom