Puffy Haw

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
I have seen my share of swollen eyes and sinuses, but this is a first for me. I am going to treat it like it is Pseudomonas, there is no infection in the eye although there is some sinus drainage as seen in the nostril. I have administered .60 ml of Zactran and applied an eye antibiotic for now. He is eating well and not showing any sign of being 'down'. That bubble you see in the eye is the haw or inner eye lid. It is quite swollen and looks like it is full of clear liquid.

Candy @OkieQueenBee and I have gotten quite proficient at doing just that and we do have very good results, however we have never had a hard chunk develop in the sinus.

It is interesting how many people believe it will not work. Just last week @OkieQueenBee got totally ignored over at Peacocks Only when she posted complete directions on how to do it. the conversation was turned totally into how to cut the bird open to drain the infection. I know that there are times when it needs to be cut, but not if you catch it soon enough.

Oh, and by the way, the bird that started this thread has made a complete recovery and has been returned to the outdoor pen. We only have one pea in the infirmary, the one that got an owl claw in the eye. It should be going out in a day or two. Oh and Zombee, the hen pecked Cameo with the creepy eye that seems to be Candy's house pea.
I saw that one video where that poor bird bled real bad, birds do not have a high volume of blood like mammals and can easily bleed to death , that there was cut wrong and it should have been one good cuts maybe 2 at the most not hacking like i saw, Jan got it right the first time with Peter , someone said she learned from that bleeding video but i remember seeing Jans video first , i never saw that other video till the other day.

Glad your boy is doing better
clap.gif

Last edited:
How deep are your water dishes? i ask this because i know you feed mash and if they can not clean their nairs i am will to be that this will cause this, if food gets impacted in the nair's and has no way to get out it is going to cause problems even feathers dander gets in there i have seen it first hand
wink.png

How deep are your water dishes? i ask this because i know you feed mash and if they can not clean their nairs i am will to be that this will cause this, if food gets impacted in the nair's and has no way to get out it is going to cause problems even feathers dander gets in there i have seen it first hand
wink.png

I am using the same one you use I think. Here is a pic;

This one normally sits on that overturned dish to keep it cleaner, but it was on the ground so the chicks could get to the water. There is also a dish of water all summer for them to wade in that I sometimes wonder if it is the cause of the bacteria.

Here is a pic of before and after cleaning an eye of a bird that has the Pseudomonas infection. The bird at the beginning of this thread I may have caught before it got this bad. This is the before picture;

And the after cleaning pic;

The eye was matted shut with lots of drainage from both the eye and nare. We use Vetricin Eye Wash to soften the crusty matting and wet Q-Tips to remove the globs of puss from inside the eye, then apply Erythromycin Ophthalmic ointment. Vet-Rx was applied to the nares after cleaning. This boy has made a complete recovery and I am told that since he has now had the Pseudomonas he will be resistant to it in the future.

The nairs look very clogged IMO
They should be clear

Look at the roof of the beak and you will see a slit in the middle see if there is anything poking out in that area or if it is distended , there is most likely gunk all up in there also..

I keep my water dishes on pallets so the young ones can reach it and also helps keep the water clean, my drinking reservoir is 2 inches deep but it does not fill up to the top so i keep a deep old cooking pot of water in their also so they can dip their beaks all the way in to the top, they do use this often.......

i do not feed the brooder babies mash past a couple of months of age unless i am worming them, i do wet down the ultra kibble but it remains pellet forum unless i mash it up with something another reason i like it so much

You might wanna try "milking" some of that out... Clear all the crusty stuff first, then gently press on the bumo and fluid should discharge from the eye, nare and choanal slit.

-Kathy

You might wanna try "milking" some of that out... Clear all the crusty stuff first, then gently press on the bumo and fluid should discharge from the eye, nare and choanal slit.

-Kathy

Candy @OkieQueenBee and I have gotten quite proficient at doing just that and we do have very good results, however we have never had a hard chunk develop in the sinus.

It is interesting how many people believe it will not work. Just last week @OkieQueenBee got totally ignored over at Peacocks Only when she posted complete directions on how to do it. the conversation was turned totally into how to cut the bird open to drain the infection. I know that there are times when it needs to be cut, but not if you catch it soon enough.

Oh, and by the way, the bird that started this thread has made a complete recovery and has been returned to the outdoor pen. We only have one pea in the infirmary, the one that got an owl claw in the eye. It should be going out in a day or two. Oh and Zombee, the hen pecked Cameo with the creepy eye that seems to be Candy's house pea.

Back
Top Bottom