Puffy Haw

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
I have seen my share of swollen eyes and sinuses, but this is a first for me. I am going to treat it like it is Pseudomonas, there is no infection in the eye although there is some sinus drainage as seen in the nostril. I have administered .60 ml of Zactran and applied an eye antibiotic for now. He is eating well and not showing any sign of being 'down'. That bubble you see in the eye is the haw or inner eye lid. It is quite swollen and looks like it is full of clear liquid.

looks kinda greenish yellow like an infection IMO
wink.png

Yes, that is the reason I am treating it with antibiotics. I don't now if it is Pseudomonas or not, but I am going with the Zactran first.
I read it was contagious and even people can get it .....especialy if their immune system is compromised and it can be difficult to treat as it can develop resistance to multiple antibiotics and it can even develop resistance during the course of treatment
ep.gif

This is a problem of atmosphere ... the peacock do not like enclosed spaces ... they must have fresh air!
Tylan must solve this problem of infection.

This is a problem of atmosphere ... the peacock do not like enclosed spaces ... they must have fresh air!
He does not keep his birds inside a house they live in an very spacious open air aviary, clogged nairs is the problem i see in his photos

I wish it was that simple Dany, pens all consist of either an open air coop that is totally open on one side, or the brooder house that has a lot of ventilation and access to large outdoor runs.
I don't know if this bird actually has Pseudomonas, it may be one that did not get it when the rest did, but I did have a lab run tests and there are only three antibiotics that will touch it. Tylan, Baytril, and all the other normal antibiotics will not work.

I wish it was that simple Dany, pens all consist of either an open air coop that is totally open on one side, or the brooder house that has a lot of ventilation and access to large outdoor runs.
I don't know if this bird actually has Pseudomonas, it may be one that did not get it when the rest did, but I did have a lab run tests and there are only three antibiotics that will touch it. Tylan, Baytril, and all the other normal antibiotics will not work.
The strains can be different requiring different antibiotics , i believe i read there can be 100's

Couldn't you use your new microscope to check the liquid and see what you find, i read it can be checked this way and you have the equipment , there are lots of photos on google and even videos to help you identify things use them to your advantage, i will be purchasing a setup next year, i have a simple microscope but i would love a much better one like you have ..

. i love looking at tiny worlds also not just worms, these kind of things fascinate me to no end
Pseudomonas Aeruginosa on blood Agar

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom