Pullet laid 3 eggs and then quit...why?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
Recently, one of my 22 week old EEs laid her first lovely green egg much to my surprise and excitement. She then went on to lay for another couple days. But after that, she ceased all production and we have not found an egg from her for about a week and a half, so my question is: is this normal? She is still squatting, acting completely normal, and not showing any signs of apparent distress. All help regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated.

-Alexandra33

Thank you for the input, shelby h! Hopefully then she will soon start up again.
smile.png

-Alexandra33

We have ten girls; Golden Comets and Buff Orpingtons. They are between 1 & 2 years old. We are only getting 3 eggs a day after having experienced terrific laying (9-10 out of 10). They don't seem "molti." Any clue as to what might be going on?

Recently, one of my 22 week old EEs laid her first lovely green egg much to my surprise and excitement. She then went on to lay for another couple days. But after that, she ceased all production and we have not found an egg from her for about a week and a half, so my question is: is this normal? She is still squatting, acting completely normal, and not showing any signs of apparent distress. All help regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated.

-Alexandra33
Do you free range?
She may be laying out in the range area.

Do you free range?
She may be laying out in the range area.
Well, as it turns out, I was going to update you guys anyway. We were out in the garden today, and there was a concealed nest with 6 tiny green eggs in it! She has been sneaking away and laying beneath the tomato plants, silly girl. I guess a daily egg hunt is in order for the future......
smile.png

-Alexandra33

Last edited:
Quote: Well, that good!!
Yes, egg hunt.
....or.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.
Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.
They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.
You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

Last edited:
Well, that good!!
Yes, egg hunt.
....or.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.
Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.
They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.
You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.
Thank you for the invaluable advice! You all have been so helpful, and I really appreciate that. Yes, we can definitely arrange that to break her of laying elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom