Pullet Unable To Walk!

Lilywater101

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Hello everyone... I have a question and am hoping that someone can really help me out. I had recently gotten a whole bunch of 16-18 week old pullets and I had a rooser who is not fully mature but older than the pullets he is also big and heavy. I had tried to keep the young pullets and rooseter separted for fear the he would mate with one of them. Well one day he mated with a young pullet before I noticed..all i heard was a loud SQUAWK! and the rooster was on top of the pullet, he definetly had her very flattened aganist the ground. When i chased him off of her the pullet was unable to walk and she still cant walk.

She can stand for a little while and take small steps but her legs tremble a lot and after a short period of time she ends up sitting..Im real worried because she doesnt eat or drink much and spends much of her time sleeping and laying around. Is it possible that the rooster hurt her and broke her legs or something? Can i some how get her to get back to walking and acting how she was before the rooster mated with her??

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!! I am desperate for responses!
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You need to visually inspect her for any cuts, scratches and punctures and treat accordingly. Check her sides under and below her wings, on top of her wings. Place her in a crate or cage for rest and relaxation, especially if it's a leg injury. She will need time to heal and cant be walking around on an injured leg, it will only make it worse. Provide her with scrambled egg, buttermilk mixed in her feed to make a mash and give it to her to eat, also provide freshwater for her while seperated. Leg injuries (if this is what it is) take time to heal...could be a few days, a week, months or never. You can buy vitamin B complex at a pharmacy, crush a few of the tablets into powder and sprinkle the powder into her food. Do this for 3 days then stop and see if there's improvement. If so, stop the vitamin B complex. If there's no improvement, continue for 5 days then stop completely.

Ok, thank you so much for the advice! And well she has no visible wounds she is just real lathargic and can not seem to walk..she sleeps a lot and lays and if she stands or walks she only does it for a little while before she becomes too weak and lays back down..her legs tremble whenever she attempts this..I didnt think that this much damage could have happened from the rooster mating with her.
sad.png

I am sure it could hurt her if the boy is alot bigger than her! I would keep her sepparated for awhile and make sure she is eating and drinking well. Give her vitamins and extra protein to help healing. Do her legs look ok? No signs of a broken bone or dislocation?

wat type of vitamins and extra protein should i give her? And well her legs look ok..i dont see any broken bones or dislocation if it was not for the fact that she wont stand and when she does she trembles... you would not know that she was hurt..
hmm.png

Crushed up an aspirin and put it in a gallon of water. That will help with any pain. Extra protein, scrambled eggs, peanut butter, oatmeal, etc. I usually put the peanut butter and oatmeal together and they love it. Vitamins, you could use Poly Vi-sol (without iron) found in the infant section at Walmart. You can also get the Vitamin/Electrolyte from Tractor Supply.

I usually scrambled up some eggs for the protein and also give the infant vitamin drops...Poly-Vi-Sol and add that to their water. Just be sure to buy the kind that does NOT have the iron. You don't want to give chickens the one with the iron. Hopefully this will help her to perk up and start healing if she has an injury from your boy.

Back
Top Bottom