Pumpkin Hulsey Color Genetics?

Pics

Rootball

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Western Colorado
Anyone care to give an idea as to the color genetics behind the Pumpkin Hulsey line of American Gamefowl?

Here is an example...NOT MY PHOTOS

IMG_1405.jpg

Pumpkins actually have several color variations, the one in your picture I recognize from GreenFireFarms. I have one that looks like that another that is creme shade of orange, and yet another that looks like a wheaton. Most of the hens seem to be wheaten with a variations on the roosters. I do have a creme hen, and what appears to be a partridge hen all of them from GreenFire.

Yeah I think they are super beautiful birds and I was thinking of getting some from Greenfire Farms.

Do you have any pictures of yours WW?

Quote:
I do of my oldest roo, the other roos are still young and haven't filled out fully but I'll try to get some shots tomorrow.
His name is Pumpkin... LOL
l_c3a5c06c11b64457a0f1f884f9735a3d.jpg

I have had my eyes on these for a while. The color is very interesting, especially the roo from Greenfire. I know very little about gamebirds, but it would be worth the time and research. Not to mention building a new pen...Or at least convincing my hubby to do it.
Do they all come in those three shades (redish, mahogany, cream)? Is there a red gene that acts like Andalusian blue? I think that one might need it's own post.

so far as I know no one has done an in-depth study on what causes the pumpkin color and its variants. a white pumpkin has the silver gene rather than the gold, and there is a variant of red pumpkin similar to the very pale bodied roo posted that is called canary. it seems to be partially dominant but I'm not sure as I've not bred them nor tried any crosses. I've seen birds from a single mating that half of them came out pumpkin from a family that never throws pumpkins bred to a pumpkin family and then the other half of the brood all came out normal color. the majority are wheaton based, but most red American gamefowl families are.

the color also seems to at times only show up after the second or third molt, or in only part of the body. For example, a perfectly normal looking wheaton male with pumpkin/canary shoulders.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom