Puppy/Dog Food

Thanks everyone!

The thing about Taste Of The Wild is I haven't seen it anywhere, but if I find it this week when I finish shopping for him it seems that it should be my first choice - I'll check out tractor supply and see if it's there. What about Blue Buffalo? I heard good things about it.

@Riocotesei-We are naming him Jack!
smile.png

I feed TOTW to both dogs and they do good on it, but we have problems keeping weight on our older GSD Jax. He's a picky eater and very active. He's been eating satin balls with his TOTW for about two weeks now, without an ounce gained!
barnie.gif
Our other GSD gets plain hamburger with his TOTW. Both dogs get raw chicken from time to time. I am not able to go to strictly raw, so I feed the TOTW and add fresh meat whenever possible.

Thanks! I was thinking about mixing some chicken in with his regular food - I don't think I could do the all raw diet.

Do you think Jax has worms of some sort? I know when our new cat Gibbs was a stray when we first found him he was really tiny and now that we are curing the tapeworms he has been packing on the pounds.
tongue.png

lol.png
I didn't even think of Jack Sparrow until now - I always thought Jack Skellington from nightmare before christmas and Jack-Jack from the incredibles.
Thanks for the link! I found a few places really close that I will have to check out this week!

Quote:
Nope, vet has checked him several times for worms, wormed him with a broad-spectrum wormer just in case, and his health checks out fine otherwise.
He just refuses to eat enough to support his activeness.
Good luck with your new pup.
smile.png

I have had Dobermans for 25 years...used to breed and show...I have researched dog food until my eyes have bled...there is no one size fits all but I have my six on Taste of the Wild at this time...it is a 6 star super premium, they love it, look and feel fabulous...the ocean fish formula is less fat and protein than the wetlands and prairie formulas if one is concerned about the protein levels...I use all 3 formulas, rotating every month...my local feed store orders it for me at 35.99 per bag while TS charges 42 and change for it...I buy a months supply at the time...I can say that over the 25 years I have had Dobermans in my life that it is the best I have fed...and I have tried everything from soup to nuts...Canidae gave them diarrea, Wellness they hated, Chicken Soup has not promised a no ethoxyquin formula and so many feeds use that as a preservative and it is a carcinogen...many foods are just cheap filler and my dogs could not maintain coat and condition...I feel, based on experience, that you can not go wrong with Taste of the Wild...

one of my big boys

34215_dscn0302jpg.jpg

Last edited:
HI just a suggestion for you but I am not too keen on any food purchased in a supermarket. I like blue buffalo, and other natural made dog foods. I personally use Natures Balance by Science Diet. I have seen a lot of skin issues (dandruff, itching and lackluster coats) caused from supermarket braqnds (purina, pedigree, alpo etc) 4 out of 5 times it is cures by putting them on a high quality dog food. Another reason is the higher quality dog foods you will feed less of per pound of dog since it is more complete, and less food equals less poop :)

@gritsar- Well, at least he's healthy.
big_smile.png
And thanks!

@duck walk- Thank you for your input, your Dobermans sound very happy.
wink.png
I was planning buying his food in bulk to, maybe a medium sized bag because I'm only feeding one dog - don't want it to go bad either.

After inspecting my cousin's APBT his coat is really poor and his bowl movements are horrible, so Iams is off the list and Taste of The Wild is at the top.
wink.png

I'm gonna talk to the breeder tonight or tomorrow, when I get a chance to get over there.

Back
Top Bottom