Purina Game Bird Maintenance

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
Does anyone use Purina Game Bird Maintenance feed for their adult turkeys, with no other supplements? I bought it because it was cheaper than the Purina Flock raiser that I was buying before. But then I got home and saw that it is only 12% protein. Is that enough? Flock Raiser is 20% protein.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 10.46.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 10.46.14 PM.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 10
Does anyone use Purina Game Bird Maintenance feed for their adult turkeys, with no other supplements? I bought it because it was cheaper than the Purina Flock raiser that I was buying before. But then I got home and saw that it is only 12% protein. Is that enough? Flock Raiser is 20% protein.
It is designed for BB turkeys. If your heritage turkeys get to free range they will be alright.

It is designed for BB turkeys. If your heritage turkeys get to free range they will be alright.
"free range" = for exercise after eating all those carbs? Or will they find more protein while free ranging? My heritage turkeys have a big yard, but there is nothing edible in the yard right now.

"free range" = for exercise after eating all those carbs? Or will they find more protein while free ranging? My heritage turkeys have a big yard, but there is nothing edible in the yard right now.
Mine are eating dead gras since the green is barely starting. They are also getting all the Russian olives that were covered by snow all winter.

That's why it was cheaper, less protein. I personally, wouldn't consider 12% protein as even a maintenance feed, needs to be closer to 16 - 18% to be considered 'maintenance', IMHO!

PURINA and other feed manufactures are reducing the protein contents of feeds and also reducing the amount of feed per bag....instead of 50lbs. bags, they are selling 40 and 35lbs. bags at a higher price and less protein.

That's why it was cheaper, less protein. I personally, wouldn't consider 12% protein as even a maintenance feed, needs to be closer to 16 - 18% to be considered 'maintenance', IMHO!

PURINA and other feed manufactures are reducing the protein contents of feeds and also reducing the amount of feed per bag....instead of 50lbs. bags, they are selling 40 and 35lbs. bags at a higher price and less protein.
Yes that is what I thought too. Maybe "maintenance" means "they will just barely not die".

I guess i will mix my feed with some chick starter and feed it.

Back
Top Bottom