push comes to shove...

Vata Raven

Songster
Feb 15, 2023
I can build!

After trying (and failing) to find someone to hire to help me build my mobile coops, I found a person nearby who cut my 2x4s in half (like what I wanted) for free. Then I asked the guy who does our lawn to help with cutting bigger pieces of wood. Getting all the wood allowed me to build the bulk of everything myself. I think I finished the frame in 6 hours, but I spread out the work between 3 days. The frame is almost done; we still gotta cut the ceiling joists and rafters cut.

It's 8x4x4, and I plan to get another one built. I learned a lot from the first coop frame, and plan to use those improvements with the 2nd chick-on-wheels. I would build it more like a house with how each wall is it's own section and a head and sole plate.

This size was the perfect size for a solo build, and I would not make it any bigger. If I made it bigger, it would add weight and make it less mobile once i get it on wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_000246[1].jpg
    IMG_20230219_000246[1].jpg
    526 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230219_000304[1].jpg
    IMG_20230219_000304[1].jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 7
Congratulations!

It's a great feeling to accomplish something that you didn't know you were capable of. :)

I've done a lot of "handy" stuff and I was thrilled the first time I worked with metal roofing, self-tapping screws, and the new generation of lightweight, battery-operated tools. So many new possibilities!

Congratulations!

It's a great feeling to accomplish something that you didn't know you were capable of. :)

I've done a lot of "handy" stuff and I was thrilled the first time I worked with metal roofing, self-tapping screws, and the new generation of lightweight, battery-operated tools. So many new possibilities!
Thank you :cool:

Building is simple enough. I used do it before my parents divorced, but of course we kept none of the tools. You are pretty at mercy of whoever you're trying to depend on if you don't have the right tools.

I went to Harbor Freight a hell of lot in one week, lol

My goals are
1) get a table saw
2) come up with a better method for corner clamping (was using a brink and 2 ratchet clamps)

Awesome!! Please keep us updated and take pics of each step. When done complie it all and submit an article on the build— it is a great size and I’m sure there are 100s out there that may benefit from your experiences.
👍👍

Awesome!! Please keep us updated and take pics of each step. When done complie it all and submit an article on the build— it is a great size and I’m sure there are 100s out there that may benefit from your experiences.
👍👍
I will the next time around.

But it's pretty simple. 4 of the 6 sides (counting top and bottom) are built the same. The 2 shorter sides are also built the same... just with 3 studs vs 5.

Back
Top Bottom