Put your cold weather tips in comments!!

We actually got down to -3 last night, and -12 is on tap for tonight. That is very unusual for this part of Tennessee. I did enclose the coop pretty well, but I'm going to go put up another wind shield to prevent a draft. They have great ventilation, but I don't want a draft going through there.

We do give them warm oatmeal each morning, and their food is kept full. The water barrel doesn't freeze, but the little water cups do, so I always bring hot water with me to pour in and thaw the water cups.

I gave them a big helping of scratch yesterday and also a good batch of mealworm. We also feed them pretty much any leftovers we have every couple of days. They seem to be very happy, although I'm no chicken whisperer. They are active when we visit them, and they love to jump up and get at whatever it is we are bringing them. LOL They are so cute!!

We have six, but we're going to get more in the spring.

Stay warm, friends!!
I'd definitely cut out the oat meal and scratch, its not doing any favors to their health. You can make a mash out of chicken feed if you want a warm treat.

I'd definitely cut out the oat meal and scratch, its not doing any favors to their health. You can make a mash out of chicken feed if you want a warm treat.
My wife took some of their crumble and added some warm water to mix it with. It became like the consistency of baby poop, but the chickens don't really seem very interested. What consistency has worked for you all? Did we make it wrong? Should we make the mash in some other way?

My wife took some of their crumble and added some warm water to mix it with. It became like the consistency of baby poop, but the chickens don't really seem very interested. What consistency has worked for you all? Did we make it wrong? Should we make the mash in some other way?
Add just a bit of warm water. The crumbles will expand, but also soften. The consistency my girls like is sort of a dry oatmeal. I add some herbs to it, and a few shelled sunflower seeds and grubs. If it's too watery, they will not eat it.

When planning your next coop, plan to have the entrance on the opposite side of the wind. If that is not viable, place a windbreak in front of the entrance. I am using a sturdy shed as the windbreak.

If your chickens won't come outside because of snow, shovel a path for them. It's better for them to get outside in the sunshine (and spread the manure out of the coop).

Try making it with a lot less water. I just wet it so it gets damp thru but not soupy. My girls think it’s a big treat because it looks different than their dry chow. 😜

Sorry but I'm still advocating for insulation! We just lost power for 4 days, brutal cold for my area, all is well..... Other's in my area are posting about chicken and duck death, just sayin..... .......
insulation.PNG

Sorry but I'm still advocating for insulation! We just lost power for 4 days, brutal cold for my area, all is well..... Other's in my area are posting about chicken and duck death, just sayin..... .......View attachment 3729238
Im going to be insulating mine next year. I usally have straw in the coop for winter

Down here in Texas! Wood floor with deep pack litter. Keep a 5-gallon bucket inside house for emergency water (learned that the hard way). Moving blankets are our bests friends. Use them everywhere, on walls and doors to keep drafts out! (Harbor Freight carries them for cheap)

I used to add only a little water, but they ate it so fast they would have trouble swallowing and I was afraid they would choke. The last time I made it, I put more water and made it very wet; it was a better consistency so they didn't choke.

You can add in some goodies to it as well: a sprinkle of scratch, some oats, herbs, red pepper flakes, and oils (like coconut oil if they need it for some reason, or cod liver oil for healthy feathers). Also use hot water so the mash doesn't turn cold by the time they eat it :)

Back
Top Bottom