Putting the girls into their new hen house-HELP!

They're just a little confused. They'll be fine. Chickens don't do change well, but usually they're pretty easy to acclimate if you can leave them in the coop/run for a few days. Looks like a great setup.

WOW! Hope my girls are happy in their drape plain everyday coop...lol. May have to do some enrichment projects for them. Great job and I am sure they will be fine in a day or so.

We put ours in coop with attached run and MADE THEM GO into coop for bed and let out in mornin for a week --NOW they go into coop when they get scared or its night time for bed :)--i dont even shut the door anymore.

Hey, I usually just move them out into it at night and put them on their perches. When they are asleep they are easier to move and manipulate and settle into roosting better. Then I usually just act like it's always been this way, letting them out like I normally would. If you have huge property, maybe I'd consider leaving them in a few days but if you are an urban farmer, I wouldn't really worry. Just be sure everyone is accounted for at night for the first week or so.

Holy moly. Beautiful coop! I kept mine "locked" up for 3 days. And they knew exactly where to go at sunset. Geez, that coop is gorg. I wouldn't leave for days. Lol.

I think they need to be kept inside exclusively for a couple of weeks so they have time to learn that is where they belong. Or they might not go back in at night.

I love your coop! It's so bright and sunny they will love it in a day or so. Just a suggestion, I started with nice fluffy shavings too and per the chicken chicks suggestion I switched to sand. It is so much cleaner and easier to keep clean and they no longer tromp through poop and get it on their feet and each other. Takes my literally 5 min each day w/ a cat litter scoop to clean and it's hardened in the morning like little rocks so no smell either.
Good luck w/ your girls!

They will love being big girls.....love the inside of your coop, enjoy your chickens they are so much fun and addictive....

Beautiful coop! What lucky ladies they are!

LOL!! I didn't know you were supposed to keep them up in the coop for a few days at first. I just stuck them in there at 6 wks. My coop is small with at attached run, and I didn't have to show them where to go when it got dark; they explored it during the first day and when the sun went down they all six went in to the coop. All we had to do was shut the door to the run! Maybe I was lucky, but it "weren't no big deal"!

Now they are out-growing the small coop and we are making a larger one. I hope it won't be a big deal this time either. They went through two brooders and are crowded now, so I think they will be thrilled to have more room. Your ladies may like the gorgeous coop so much they won't want to come out in the run, he,he,he!

Back
Top Bottom