Pyrethrin-Resistant Lice?

my sunwolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Southwest Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
We have now fully dusted the girls with pyrethrin three times, each at 7-10 day intervals, and there has been no change in the lice infestation. I'm starting to get concerned.

We tried some pour-on Eprinex for cattle (1/2-1cc per hen), but this did not work either. I'm reluctant to try it again because A) I'm trying to avoid harsh chemicals, and B) I can't find many withdrawal times for Ivomec or Eprinex, and one thing I read said 8 weeks.

Wood ash and DE dust baths have kept their numbers down, but my girls are starting to look ragged.

Any suggested solutions? I may just start culling.

As you found out, eprinex wont kill poultry lice, neither will ivermectin. Both will kill mites though. Both are ineffective against poultry worms.
There is no withdrawal period for eprinex, normally 14 days for ivermectin.
Use sevin dust: The 5% carbaryl will take care of the lice on your chickens. Put sevin dust in a grocery bag or pillow case. Put a chicken inside the bag with its head sticking out the top and hold the bag around its neck. Then "shake and bake." Then release her, she'll shake herself off and go about her business. Also make sure you dust inside the coop, nests, roosts as well. You can put a small handful of the dust at the entrance to the coop, then hit it full blast with a leaf blower. The dust will get in every tiny crack and crevice. Make sure there arnt any chickens inside the coop when you do this. Wear a mask and old chicken clothes and shoes. Avoid getting the dust in the nostrils and eyes.

Back
Top Bottom