Quail and Ramps

Snoriko

Hatching
May 20, 2021
I recently acquired some coturnix quail to keep in my suburban backyard, and when doing research on housing I couldn't find much information on how quail do with double level hutches/cages. I ended up buying this rabbit hutch (Wooden Rabbit Hutch) and was worried the quail wouldn't figure out the ramp. Most of what I could find indicated that quail could figure out ramps, but they couldn't be very tall, steep, or slick, and it would take some training.

It was actually very easy! I stapled some 1/2" hardware cloth to the ramp surface to provide grip. After that all it took was moving their water bottle up along the ramp a little at a time over the course of a few hours. They figured it out instantly and had no issues at all! Now they love the ramp and go up and down all day! It works perfectly and some of them even spend a majority of their time in the top part.

I just wanted to share my story for others looking at this type of enclosure for quail.

I recently acquired some coturnix quail to keep in my suburban backyard, and when doing research on housing I couldn't find much information on how quail do with double level hutches/cages. I ended up buying this rabbit hutch (Wooden Rabbit Hutch) and was worried the quail wouldn't figure out the ramp. Most of what I could find indicated that quail could figure out ramps, but they couldn't be very tall, steep, or slick, and it would take some training.

It was actually very easy! I stapled some 1/2" hardware cloth to the ramp surface to provide grip. After that all it took was moving their water bottle up along the ramp a little at a time over the course of a few hours. They figured it out instantly and had no issues at all! Now they love the ramp and go up and down all day! It works perfectly and some of them even spend a majority of their time in the top part.

I just wanted to share my story for others looking at this type of enclosure for quail.
Mine love their ramp too! And have no interest in the hideout I gave them. I was told they won’t like the ramp and make sure they have hideouts haha, go figure :-D

I’m glad yours cooperated too! I was worried as I too live in a more urban environment and needed something like a hutch that is easier to clean and access! :) thanks for sharing!

I'm another ramp user. The quail are fine with it as long as it isn't too steep. The birds spend most of their time outdoors and under the ramp.
Ramps WORK for Coturnix Quail. Start them using ramps from a week or two of age. Show them the food and water is upstairs. Help them hop onto the higher level(s) by airlifting some of your quail close to the ramp top; then give them a nudge and make sure they have a platform at the opening to the next level and make sure the distance to the platform is close enough for them to hop onto, even if that

I have a motivated meany (over aggressive) male who is now in a secure chicken run with docile hens who don’t bother him. He has outside access to the cage structure he was living in previously via a chicken tunnel and wants to get to his quail group. Upstairs are quail, downstairs are hen egg boxes. They are connected with ramps but the quail levels up top are blocked off.
Unfortunately for everyone he neatly killed another male a few days ago so he is blocked from access to them but he will climb long steep ramps in an attempt to get up there. He only makes it to a second story hen egg box however and any hen up there trying to lay an egg will look at him quizzically as he makes his way up the ramp to appear on her level.
So funny!

If the quail have outside and a hitch access, do they go into the hutch at dusk by themselves or do you have to 'encourage' them to go into the hutch for the night?

If the quail have outside and a hitch access, do they go into the hutch at dusk by themselves or do you have to 'encourage' them to go into the hutch for the night?
They do not go in by themselves. Rather than have a specific hutch, they usually prefer small shelters scattered throughout their home.

My quail can go in and out as they please. They don't really like going in the hutch except to eat and drink. Otherwise, they love being outside, even in the rain. I usually find about half of them inside at night, the other alpha half have claimed the ground.

Back
Top Bottom