Quail cage size

Knight101

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 5, 2017
I’m going going to raising coturnix 900-1000 quail. Would it be better to make long running cages (like 20ft long) or stacked cages ( 6ft tall, 3-4ft wide)? What dimensions would I need for all the pens? They are for meat.

I would go with short height cages so they can't get much momentum to harm themselves if they flush up. Also makes it possible to stack cages in racks to optimize floor space. Just my $.02.

I would go with short height cages so they can't get much momentum to harm themselves if they flush up. Also makes it possible to stack cages in racks to optimize floor space. Just my $.02.
What height would you suggest plus width

Well, 16-18” make it feasible to stack 3 high. A key point is not making them too deep front to back, or the doors too small. You don’t want any part of the cage that you can’t easily reach. I made that mistake once. I swear the birds are psychic; they will find that spot. I’ll also point out that if you’re stacking them, the shorter the height of the bottom cage, the harder it is to work in.

I assume by now you have decided on your cage sizes. Either way here is a link to my post about my cage I built after watching many videos on this.
Quail Condo
Mine is 4 story just over 6 feet wide and 7 feet tall. this allows for 4 pens 2 ft x 6ft. this size is specific to allow for 2 2ft x 3ft drip pans to be used for poo collection.
I have 3 pens for roll out eggs and the lowest is flat bottom for grow outs and roosters to cull depending on the needs.
if you go with 4-5 birds to a square foot you can fit 40 to 50 birds per level.

I have 2 levels with Breeding Birds so 16 hens and 3 roosters. I will be incubating more in a week or so and will see if this arrangement works. the 3rd row will be around 50 hens just laying eggs.
Quail Eggs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom