Quail1241

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2024
Hello, my quail chick has a swollen foot, it doesn’t seem to be bumblefoot because it is swelling on the top of the foot rather the bottom. Could it possibly be a form of gout? This is my first time hatching and raising quail. I also have a chick with wry neck and I purchased the 80ml vitamin E with selenium gel (the one in the photo and another brand off Amazon coming in tomorrow). Any advice on how to use this gel? Is it food or do I apply it directly on its neck? Also if the foot needs a specific remedy id appreciate any links to them! Thank you 🙏

IMG_1330.jpeg
IMG_1331.jpeg
IMG_1332.jpeg
IMG_1335.jpeg

Update- I purchased them all and will prepare the following daily meal:

All chopped up and mixed together
1/2 hard boiled egg
1/4 or 1/2 vitamin B complex (2 servings)
1 vitamin E softgel

I will also add colloidal silver to the water, just not yet sure how much but I will attach a pic of the water feeder and hopefully someone can answer.

I am also unsure if I should mix a little starter feed, I’m currently using a mix of it with a hard boiled egg.
image.jpg

Thank you for the advice. I bought this one for $14, nice and small. And sadly this goat tube is not returnable on Amazon, so I’m stuck with it. Hopefully I’ll need it if I decide to raise a goat :p. I’m definitely going to prepare a nice meal for them with this food processor.

I was thinking of doing the same for these other 3 chicks that follow me around everywhere I go. One had splayed leg that I fixed using cup therapy and the other two I assisted on day 20 and 21 of incubation so I have them in a separate brooder as well. They’re all healthy. Can I use the same exact mix or are these vitamins and colloidal silver only for injuries? Or should I just mix starter feed with boiled egg? Thank you for the help!
IMG_1385.jpeg

Thank you so much, I’m definitely going to be doing that as well. I have another concern. For my quail chicks, I have 28 total (23 in the main brooder and 5 separated) and they are all being kept under 24/7 light. I’m using the light as a heat source and was wondering if that’s okay or if I have to switch to another heat source at night. And for my adult quail (I have 9 in a cage), at night they are being kept in total darkness because my garage light just went out. Is that okay or should I leave an external light outside the cage so they can have some partial light? Thank you

The B-Complex you have is fine to give. B Vitamins are water soluble, meaning that any excess will be excreted in the urine (urates) and poop, so there's no worry about overdoing on B Vitamins.

Do you have photos of your brooder set up and Quail cages?

Adult Quail really should have a natural sleep/wake cycle, so having the light off at night would be a normal thing for them. If you have are having to provide light for them in the garage, due to not enough natural light/sunlight, then it would be a good idea to turn it off late in the day and let the garage naturally go dark.

For the babies, it's fine to have light/heat on 24/7, just make sure they have food/water available since they will be eating at all hours of the day/night with a light on.
Once they are older and no longer in need of heat, you can start weening them off the light and they will learn to have a more natural sleep/wake cycle like the adults.

Thank you so much, I’m definitely going to be doing that as well. I have another concern. For my quail chicks, I have 28 total (23 in the main brooder and 5 separated) and they are all being kept under 24/7 light. I’m using the light as a heat source and was wondering if that’s okay or if I have to switch to another heat source at night. And for my adult quail (I have 9 in a cage), at night they are being kept in total darkness because my garage light just went out. Is that okay or should I leave an external light outside the cage so they can have some partial light? Thank you

Welcome To BYC

The foot looks like it may have gotten caught in something. It may be broken, but hard to tell.

I don't see a photo of Vitamin E and Selenium gel, but it's not something I would use. Too low in E and likely way too high in Selenium.

I'd go to Walmart, CVS, etc. Pick up a bottle of Vitamin E gel caps, 400IU and 1 bottle of B-Complex.
Give your Quail chick 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little bit of scrambled egg. The egg has plenty of Selenium to help with the uptake of E.

Hello! I recently hatched out a batch of button quail, and one of my chick's feet looked exactly like this due to an accident (the incubator was knocked off the counter with her inside- miracle only her foot got banged up!) Anyway, I cleaned the affected area with betadine and provided b12 and chick electrolytes and after a week of hobbling around, she healed up nicely and is now a crowing 2month old! Best of luck :)
Wow, must be rewarding raising it, thank you so much for the tip! I think I saw some electrolytes at TSC. I knew I should have bought some of those supplements on the rack when I had the chance (quite a long drive). But hopefully I can find them and some betadine online. I have a batch of over 100 eggs on day 3 of incubation so I’d like to keep some supplements, vitamins, and medicine on the side for emergency use. Any links or descriptions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you, gonna grab that along with the vitamins, so perhaps I will add it to the water along with vitamins and hard boiled egg. I also put a small amount of starter feed. Hope it works!

Update- I purchased them all and will prepare the following daily meal:

All chopped up and mixed together
1/2 hard boiled egg
1/4 or 1/2 vitamin B complex (2 servings)
1 vitamin E softgel

I will also add colloidal silver to the water, just not yet sure how much but I will attach a pic of the water feeder and hopefully someone can answer.

I am also unsure if I should mix a little starter feed, I’m currently using a mix of it with a hard boiled egg.View attachment 3779335
Looks like the waterer volume is about 1-2cups. You can add 2-3 droppers to the waterer for a couple days then lessen it to a dropper until you don't think they need it anymore :)

Back
Top Bottom