Quail chick starter

SuperiorV

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2024
Hi guys so I’m hatching for the first time, I have had 2 button/king quail chicks hatch in the last 24 hours, I have ordered game bird starter feed, express shipping over 10 days ago but it is stuck in a depot in my state somewhere, I’ve got some chick starter feed and have ground it up and added ground dried mealworm(55% protein), would this be sufficient protein intake for the next 24/36 hours until I can make the drive to pick up some game bird starter, as the shops are shut for the Easter weekend, if not what high protein food would you supplement into their diet?

Thanks in advance for any advise or suggestions :)

Added: Does anyone from Australia know of any restrictions on the shipping of bird feed? No suppliers willship to my state(WA), the only place that will is in WA but 2 hours drive away, this is where I ordered it shipped from and will have to go pick up another bag from on Saturday morning.

Hi guys so I’m hatching for the first time, I have had 2 button/king quail chicks hatch in the last 24 hours, I have ordered game bird starter feed, express shipping over 10 days ago but it is stuck in a depot in my state somewhere, I’ve got some chick starter feed and have ground it up and added ground dried mealworm(55% protein), would this be sufficient protein intake for the next 24/36 hours until I can make the drive to pick up some game bird starter, as the shops are shut for the Easter weekend, if not what high protein food would you supplement into their diet?

Thanks in advance for any advise or suggestions :)

Added: Does anyone from Australia know of any restrictions on the shipping of bird feed? No suppliers willship to my state(WA), the only place that will is in WA but 2 hours drive away, this is where I ordered it shipped from and will have to go pick up another bag from on Saturday morning.
What is the percent protein on the chick starter?

that's pretty low for a starter feed, most starter feeds are 20 to 22% protein....anyhow, if your just going to use it in this emergency, it will be ok to use for a couple of days, until you can get some gamebird feed of at least 24% protein.
Awesome, thanks for the help, yeah the only other option I could find at such short notice was 18%. I assumed about 1/4 ratio of mealworms to chick feed would help give them that missing protein

Awesome, thanks for the help, yeah the only other option I could find at such short notice was 18%. I assumed about 1/4 ratio of mealworms to chick feed would help give them that missing protein
I wouldn't worry with adding the mealworms, just feed the pulverized feed.

I wouldn't worry with adding the mealworms, just feed the pulverized feed.
Roger that, any tips on ensuring they’re eating properly, I’ve scattered feed in the incubator but the first is now about 30 hours old so in about 8 hours ill move him and any other dried out chicks into the brooder. I know I need to direct them to the feed so they know where the food source is. Any other tips?

Back
Top Bottom