Quail chick starter

I would candle the remaining eggs. You should be able to tell which ones are still alive.

If you don't want to candle, I would pull the plug at the end of day 20.

Okay, thanks :)
What colours are these guys would u know or is it too early to tell?
IMG_0488.jpeg
IMG_0491.jpeg

Last edited:
I would candle the remaining eggs. You should be able to tell which ones are still alive.

If you don't want to candle, I would pull the plug at the end of day 20.
Also…
I’m reading the temp of the brooder with a temp gun, it is inaccurate and reads about 4•F under the actual temp, (human temp is 93.3-94.8•F according to gun) the gun reads 95•F directly under the lamp, 86-92•F near the corners, and about 81-84•F in the shaded side of the brooder and in their cave (before factoring inaccuracy).
IMG_0494.jpeg

Are these okay temperatures?(My accurate thermometer is in the incubator)

It's way to early to tell the colours of your chicks.

In your brooder, rather than worry about the actual temperature, let the chicks tell you if the temperature is right. From what I can see, your chicks are saying they're comfortable. If they're cold, they'll huddle together. If they're hot, they'll be anywhere but under the heat lamp and often be stretched out.

I would remove everything but the feeders and waterers for the first week. They are very good at getting under things and dying. You want to be able to see them until they gain a bit of survival sense.

You're making me want to get buttons again! I found homes for all of mine before I moved.

In your brooder, rather than worry about the actual temperature, let the chicks tell you if the temperature is right. From what I can see, your chicks are saying they're comfortable. If they're cold, they'll huddle together. If they're hot, they'll be anywhere but under the heat lamp and often be stretched out.

I would remove everything but the feeders and waterers for the first week. They are very good at getting under things and dying. You want to be able to see them until they gain a bit of survival sense.

You're making me want to get buttons again! I found homes for all of mine before I moved.
Yeah I took the cave out, they weren’t going in there and it took up most of the shaded area, yeah they mainly stay on the hot side, they sleep in the dish, It reads a lot hotter temp than the bedding. They are very cute aha

I have noticed this morning that one of the chicks has lost a lot of hair on their right side under neath their wing, they are scratching and biting at the area. Any idea what the cause is and how to treat him?
IMG_0497.jpeg
IMG_0501.jpeg
IMG_0503.jpeg

Do you see anything when you examine it? Look for a hair wrapped around or anything that might be irritating it. Other than that, keep a close eye on it. It may take care of itself in the next few hours or you might see what's going on.

Awesome, thanks for the help, yeah the only other option I could find at such short notice was 18%. I assumed about 1/4 ratio of mealworms to chick feed would help give them that missing protein
Awesome, thanks for the help, yeah the only other option I could find at such short notice was 18%. I assumed about 1/4 ratio of mealworms to chick feed would help give them that missing protein
maybe alive bugs?

Back
Top Bottom