Quail egg colors. Button Quail, 2 hens laying green and 1 laying brown

Gosh when I see people with chickens - I still miss my girls so much. My property is now semi city here in the outlands of Sydney. I had 6 great layers for 6 great years. I never kept a roster with them. They would eat all the protein scraps from the kitchen and reward us with double yoakers and even quad yokes sometimes. 2 of them would even roll them to the back doorstep for collection, because they knew I always had a bit of finely choped ham or bacon for them.
I lived in the souther highlands of NSW, Australia.
I visited them the other day. Miss Giggles died last week so 3 remain. Spritz, Wobbles and Cornflake. Thought they are old birds they are still great layers -their new owners couldn't believe how they out lay the younger ones.
I don't think they would ever get the good meals I feed them anymore, but they are safe and well cared for.
Well life goes on - so I am doing quails now - like I did when I was young. Have forgotten the difference untill now. Chickens are friends - like dogs are loyal ----- Quail choose and pick like a cat.
Guess I am doing alright all of them jump on me as soon as I entre the aviary. It all took time for them to calm down and except each others - Chickens are quick.
Well just wanted to share with you my thoughts.

lol smallbluejellybean, thats ok i hope you get better soon:)
Its a stinking hot day here too, and not a breeze all day
sad.png
i dunked my lil old dog (14yr old jack russell) and my three grown up cats in nice cool water earlier, but they're already hot again and lying in 'Splat' formation on the tiles (bellies flat on the floor, with all four legs splayed out to the sides)
My ducks are just cruising in their paddle pool i've put in the shade, and i've moved my quail cages into my chicken coop where its much cooler. The heat hasnt seemed to affect my chook tho, she's still making a mess of my compost pile like usual lol
Me chilling with the duckets earlier:
45249_161209.jpg

"Chickens are friends - like dogs are loyal ----- Quail choose and pick like a cat." Thats so true!! I couldnt agree More! lol

Quote:
I have only one hen laying at the moment but her eggs vary from brown with really dark speckles to light brown with almost no speckles to light green eggs...

smallbluejellybean: I also do wildlife caring but its with RSPCA Wildlife, since ACT doesnt have a WIRES. & i've been fostering kittens for a few years now also.
Great minds think alike
cool.png

PS. Mrs Quail is currently sitting on 8 eggs, yay!!
big_smile.png
More Babies!!

She lays brown eggs when the eggs have no speckles or green it is from laying it to soon her body has not had enough time to lay on all the color layers

"She lays brown eggs when the eggs have no speckles or green it is from laying it to soon her body has not had enough time to lay on all the color layers"

Does this harm her at all? becoz it doesnt seem to affect the eggs, she hatched healthy chicks from all of her green & non speckled eggs last time...
Sometimes she lays one egg per day sometimes i get two eggs over three days.

Hi, Sonja and Citalk2much,
It's extremely hot here at the moment. I think it is hotter where you are Sonja?
Anyways this morning more eggs. They seem to be laying one a day each.
I cleaned the aviary this morning. It's so cute how the hens have banded together and nest together. I gave them fresh Nepean River sand this morning and they went nuts. I have tried normal sandpit sand and other sorts of things with limited results, its great to find what they like.
I moved things around a bit, so when the chicks do hatch they have easy access to water and food.
When they finish laying I will take a photo of this mighty clutch of eggs.
2 more of my canary chicks hatched this morning as well.
I am going to put a peice of plywood at the door to step over when the chicks hatch - I don't want anying slipping out when I entre the aviary.
Sonja nice ducks - they look like they are having a time in that pool. We have several wild ones that come to our pool when its hot - so hope to see them today.
Maybe when it cools down before the predicted storms this afternoon.
Nice to hear from you both again. Take care.
Cheers!!!

P.S. Flu is getting better thanks - the heat lately hasn't helped, but I will get there. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have only one hen laying at the moment but her eggs vary from brown with really dark speckles to light brown with almost no speckles to light green eggs...

smallbluejellybean: I also do wildlife caring but its with RSPCA Wildlife, since ACT doesnt have a WIRES. & i've been fostering kittens for a few years now also.
Great minds think alike
cool.png

PS. Mrs Quail is currently sitting on 8 eggs, yay!!
big_smile.png
More Babies!!

She lays brown eggs when the eggs have no speckles or green it is from laying it to soon her body has not had enough time to lay on all the color layers

You know, that's what I've always heard, but I have one hen that consistently lays a solid green egg every time she lays. This could be daily or twice a week, but every single egg she lays is a light greenish color with no spots.

A little color/colour (which ever way you would prefer to spell it) update.
All my eggs are now in an incubator and was really looking through them.
I have three girls - one lays golden/brown lightly speckled eggs all the time, one lays light brown with the odd speckle and I have one that randomly lays light green and light blue eggs not speckled.
So not sure whats up with that last bird, but she seems fickled to the rule.
There is always someone that has to be different to the rest I guess. Makes life interesting.

My button quail hen normally lays brown eggs. She was living with another hen until we had a shake up and she is now with a silver male. Anyway, I found a green egg in her coop today. Is this anything to worry about? It does have speckles on it. It just isn't her normal egg color. Otherwise, all aspects are good-eating, drinking, still running around and acting normally. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom